Central Americans fall target to kidnappings

Central American migrants have been a frequent target for kidnappers this year, the Huffington Post said.

Mexico's National Human Rights Commission

conducted a survey in June that estimated 9,758 migrants were kidnapped between September and February in Mexico while on their way to the United States, the Huffington Post said.

These kidnappers released their victims for ransoms ranging from $1000 to $5000, the Huffington Post said.

The victims are forced to call their relatives in the United States for ransom money.

"They beat me and kept beating me until I handed over my telephone numbers," a Salvadoran immigrant told the New York Times.  The Salvadorian man was held captive with many others until 37 days after he was kidnapped, the Mexican Army raided the house, the New York Times said.

This page contains a single entry by leex3236 published on October 17, 2009 11:12 PM.

Spot and follow analysis: man sought in series of stabbings was the previous entry in this blog.

Nurse accused of encouraging suicide is the next entry in this blog.