Gallery Visit - Minnesota Art Sculpture Garden

Panyiag Lee
Tonya
April 25,2009

The sculptures were breathtakingly beautiful!! It was a plus that it was outside too and the whether was beautiful!! Looking at the small descriptions on each sculpture, it seems like ost of them were donated or presented to the Walker Museum as a gift from various people. Walking around, I got lost at times because the tree bushes all looked alike so I lost count of how many sculptures there actually were, but I'd probably guess it to be around 20ish more or less. Because most of the sculptures were statues on some sort, the media was mostly steel, copper, bronze, or some sort of metal plus some of the sculptures were painted. Some of the more exciting sculptures were made out of wood, marble, or limestone. I really liked out they organized the garden. It was cubed with tree bushes with around two to three sculptures per cube. The entryway was also pretty fascinating. In between each cross-paths stood a sculpture. They made the sculptures stand out from the rest of the scenery with made it easier to point out what was what.

I'm guessing from the title and from what I saw that the theme of this gallery is "Sculpture Garden". Not too hard to recognize. The whole thing was pretty much sculpture with a few exceptions here and there. What got my attention was the section of the garden where a tad bit to the left of the exhibition stood a tree with nothing else around it. I'm still not so sure if the tree was what they were showcasing, but I was pretty confused. I think the whole garden was not to specifically show off sculptures with distinct artists attached to it, but more to just beautify the garden with artwork because most of the artwork were pretty similar and they were mostly made up of the same material so it wasn't too distinguishable. Compared to Jeff Koones, the garden was pretty similar in the fact that some sculptures were made out of stainless steel and a few of the artworks were massively enlarged (ofcourse the main artwork with similarity is the massive spoon with the cherry, but too bad the cherry wasn't there).

The artwork that really stood out to me was the one that supposedly looks like a rusty spider, "Arikideo" by Mark di Suvero. It was made out of co-ten steel, steel, and wood. Pretty much it looked like a bunch of old construction metals that was arranged to look like a tepee with a circular wooden piece hanging under it by a rope. From looking at the description, I would have assumed that his inspiration came from the quote that he came across about spiders. Reading up on his background, it seems that his inspiration came from being surrounded by an explosion of abstract expressionism and having worked at a construction site.

Like earlier in the first paragragh, I would overly express how beautiful the garden is and the fact that its outdoors. The sculpture are very intricate and to top that off, there are flowers, bushes, and beautiful objects spread throughout the garden, making it very welcomey. Unlike the indoor art gallery atmosphere where it's rude to be loud, the garden brings a whole new atmosphere where its ok to make noises, but at the same time its extraordinarily peaceful. I would most definately recommend this visit and to end the visit, there's the bridge that connects to the Loring park, which is across from the Walker Art Center. It is also beautiful. I recommend it more for the beauty than the actual art itself.