Introductions

I’ve been listening to hardcore and metal music since I was about 13 or 14 years old. I started out with bands such as Killswitch Engage, Poison the Well, and As I Lay Dying, before finding love in hardcore music with Comeback Kid, With Honor, Love is Red, and Win the Fight. My first taste of the scene was at a Poison the Well show at the Quest main room in Minneapolis, Minnesota on February 12, 2004, and that day has since changed my life! I’ve been going to shows, singing along, and dancing ever since, indulging in the local Minnesota scene. I was 15 years old when I helped organized the first Midwest Takeover Fest here in Minnesota as well as two more consecutive fests following the first. Needless to say being a part of this music scene and the community has definitely made an imprint in my life. I’ve made so many friends throughout the years in many different cities and many of the friends I have now, I’ve met through being a part of the community within the hardcore/metal scene. It has definitely molded me into the person I am today, having been introduced to the music at a very impressionable time of my life it has been the only consistent thing that I’ve stuck with through the years. At these shows I could have fun and be myself around people who also went to shows to get away from the chaos of life. The only thing I remember about high school was that during my high school years, I spent the majority of my time going shows! That’s how much music has impacted my life!
The draw, for me, to this music is the honesty behind the music as well as the musical ideas itself. The community aspect of this genre of music also drew me in, making me feel like I was a part of something bigger yet still underground and DIY.
Almost five years in and I’m still listening to the same bands (as well as new ones) growing as they grow, this for sure has never and will never be a trend to me, this music is personal and definitely an important part of my personal identity. That’s why I listen to hardcore and metal.

Suzie Lee

Continue reading "Introductions" »

Observing and Analyzing a Live Performance

"[I]s it the artist(s) that encourage community or is the community that encourages the artist? I’ve observed the relationship between audience and musicians time and time again although it was not until I accepted this assignment that I put in every painstaking detail into connecting the two. What could be better than to start this analysis with a band that I have admired since the beginning of my identity in the metal/hardcore scene? A band I’ve seen numerous times since the first time I laid eyes and ears on their live performance on July 5, 2005, Wisconsin’s very own Misery Signals."

Continue reading "Observing and Analyzing a Live Performance" »

Finding the CORE

In this paper we explore the dynamics of how metalcore music comes together through the roots of both hardcore and metal music, as well as the different bands that explore both (but not exclusively influenced by) metal and hardcore. Specifically pointing out local St. Paul hardcore band Husker Du and their association with the 1980's punk/hardcore scene of Minnesota, and Pompano Beach, Florida's Shai Hulud with their connection to the early stages of the recently coined "metalcore" music. Here we will explore what it's like to be apart of an underground music scene and what will become of it in the future.

Continue reading "Finding the CORE" »

Musical Analysis- Anchor by Misery Singals

Here we will explore the progressive structural style of metalcore band Misery Signals through their song Anchor from their second released full length LP "MIRRORS" (Ferret Records 2006).

Continue reading "Musical Analysis- Anchor by Misery Singals" »