Main | Observing and Analyzing a Live Performance »

Introductions

I’ve been listening to hardcore and metal music since I was about 13 or 14 years old. I started out with bands such as Killswitch Engage, Poison the Well, and As I Lay Dying, before finding love in hardcore music with Comeback Kid, With Honor, Love is Red, and Win the Fight. My first taste of the scene was at a Poison the Well show at the Quest main room in Minneapolis, Minnesota on February 12, 2004, and that day has since changed my life! I’ve been going to shows, singing along, and dancing ever since, indulging in the local Minnesota scene. I was 15 years old when I helped organized the first Midwest Takeover Fest here in Minnesota as well as two more consecutive fests following the first. Needless to say being a part of this music scene and the community has definitely made an imprint in my life. I’ve made so many friends throughout the years in many different cities and many of the friends I have now, I’ve met through being a part of the community within the hardcore/metal scene. It has definitely molded me into the person I am today, having been introduced to the music at a very impressionable time of my life it has been the only consistent thing that I’ve stuck with through the years. At these shows I could have fun and be myself around people who also went to shows to get away from the chaos of life. The only thing I remember about high school was that during my high school years, I spent the majority of my time going shows! That’s how much music has impacted my life!
The draw, for me, to this music is the honesty behind the music as well as the musical ideas itself. The community aspect of this genre of music also drew me in, making me feel like I was a part of something bigger yet still underground and DIY.
Almost five years in and I’m still listening to the same bands (as well as new ones) growing as they grow, this for sure has never and will never be a trend to me, this music is personal and definitely an important part of my personal identity. That’s why I listen to hardcore and metal.

Suzie Lee

I wanted to show this video clip of a news channel in the Milwaukee area of Wisconsin covering the hardcore/metal Robot Mosh Fest 4 in 2006. They give shows like this a negative connotation, depicting to its viewers only the “dangers? of these shows and its environment, but disregard what these shows mean to the people attending it and miss the community aspect of its environments.

I was 16 years old when I went to Robot Mosh Fest 4 and had a great time! At no time within the two days did I feel endangered. I was accompanied by friends that drove from Minnesota for the fest, as well as friends I had made in Wisconsin, we all looked out for each other as well as for the strangers whose purpose at the show was the same as ours. Goes to show the media is full of s#!t when it comes to giving the inside story of these events.

That video was pretty much the funniest thing I have ever seen.

I thought media was supposed to show both sides of the story!

But great story about the draw to the genre.