My Erratic 2 Hours

So it was late at night, probably around 10 or 11 PM. I was sitting in my bedroom surrounded by piles of papers and assignments. My mind was in a haze. Already, I had assumed that I would be sketching, drawing and doodling like crazy that I'd need more than one sheet of paper. But I started off with one.

I set an alarm on my iPod and left it on the side, under my pillow, where I couldn't see it.

The first moments was just staring at the page - I didn't know what to start with. It was a really strange state of mind (I actually haven't drawn for more than 15 minutes in years!). I couldn't overcome this barrier of, "What is this picture going to be about?"

I got frustrated and started drawing lines in the upper left corner of the page. It reminded me of Van Gough's "Starry Night" and his usage of lines. So I started drawing a moon, then a tree...those lines were too straight, so I curved them. Things just started building up one after another. I had watched Avatar the night before, so i decided to draw my own depiction of the Na'Vi. I thought about the "White Messiah Complex" discussed in my cultural studies class, and began adding these odd details.

Suddenly my mom burst into my room and asked what I was doing. I really wish I had a lock on my door (Christmas Wish list!), because I was reluctant to answer her. Finding myself speaking was a strange thing - more annoying, actually.

I had even more trouble resuming my deep thought of work. The work of lines was my favorite part of this exercise, because I put so much thought and movement into making them - even if they were messed up, I tried to fix them.

At the end of the exercise, I realized I had basically spat out the insides of my brain onto this paper. All these little issues about culture, October 20th, Avatar, art, space and time were etched into one piece of paper. I was surprised.

Overall, the exercise was refreshing. I enjoyed it, as it was a kind revisit to my younger days when I spent more time hunched over my drawings than Facebook.

2HourDoodle 002-1.jpg

This page contains a single entry by GrrRawr published on November 2, 2010 1:34 PM.

Crossing the Bridge is the next entry in this blog.