Week 10:

Last Week:
As a leader, it is important to never let the first impression lead you into thinking or making assumption about someone's personality. If a leader is being racism towards anyone, he/she should take responsibility for his or her own action

This Week:
When a group is having conflict, it is important to deal with the conflict first before continue on with the project. When a leader and it's follower collaborate and motivating each other, the both create an accomplish goal that will bring them all to a standard of success.

Analysis:
My definition is different from last week since this week definition concentrated on interacting as a group. In the reading "Interacting in Teams and Groups" I learned about the different conflict a group could face. The simple way to overcome those conflicts was to talk it through (Komives, Lucas, & McMahon, 1998). This reminds me of my weekly discussion partner since she was being irresponsible for not turning in our week seven notes when she specifically knew that I couldn't turn it in since I had a camping trip to attend. As a group, I had already let her know a week ahead and also gave her my notes as well. With that said, the both of us worked out our conflict and continue on with our discussion notes. Overall, I learned that if a leader or groups are not able overcome any conflict, then the both cannot be successful.

Sources:
Komives, S. R., Lucas, N., & McMahon, T. R. (1998). "Interacting in Teams and Groups." Exploring Leadership: For college students who want to make a difference (pp. 165 - 194). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.

Week 9:

Last Week:

Leaders who are able to interact on/offline will have the opportunity to make effective communication since online communities involves many elements: people, shared purpose, guidelines, collaborative learning, technology, and reflective practice. Using these elements will make a Leader an effective communicator.

This Week:

As a leader, it is important to never let the first impression lead you into thinking or making assumption about someone's personality. If a leader is being racism towards anyone, he/she should take responsibility for his or her own action.

Analysis:

My definition is different from last week since it focuses on first impression and racism. I can agree that Gladwell had made a good point about how people can interpreted people first impression appearance--their size, shape or color and sex and not dig deeper to know the person's true identity at first. As for Tatum, I also learn a lot about racism but what I don't agree on about her knowledge is that she assume that all white are racism. To be honest, I'm not white and I think I am racism at times to the race I'm not familiar with. I try my best not too but it is confusing when I don't understand where they come from.

Sources:

Gladwell, M. (2005). "The Warren Harding Error: Why we fall for tall, dark, and handsome men." Blink: The power of thinking without thinking (pp. 72 - 98). New York: Pushkin Enterprises.
Tatum, B. D. (1997). "Defining Racism: Can we talk?" Why are all the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? (pp. 3 - 17). New York: Basic Books.

Week 8:

Last Week:

"Leaders who develop agendas are more likely to focus a lot better to become successful. Leaders who are willing to work hand by hand tend to lead others better. Most importantly, a leader should be patient when it comes down to making decisions."

This Week:

"Leaders who are able to interact on/offline will have the opportunity to make effective communication since online communities involves many elements: people, shared purpose, guidelines, collaborative learning, technology, and reflective practice. Using these elements will make a Leader an effective communicator."

Analysis:

My definition is different from last week since it focuses on the on/offline interacting. Since many people are involved in Internet interacting on/offline, it is important for leaders to be aware of many issues that they can encounter. According to Session, (2010) people who usually interact on/offline may have different approach when approaching the opposite of what they usually interact. So it is important to know that even though community meet their members on/offline to build better relationship, their meet ups will not affect their own experiences but with other community and other members as well. As for Palloff, I can agree on his belief that learning together as a community online can shape your knowledge to an extend of better opportunity and learning experiences.

Sources:

Sessions, L. F. (2010). How offline gatherings affect online communities: When virtual community members 'meet up'. Information, Communication & Society, 13(3), 375-395. doi:10.1080/13691180903468954

Palloff, R. M., & Pratt, K. (2005). Learning together in community: Collaboration online. Paper presented at the 20th Annual Conference on Distance Teaching and Learning, Retrieved from http://www.uwex.edu/disted/conference/Resource_library/proceedings/04_1127.pdf

Week 7:

Last Week:

"It is important as a leader to self-reflect his or her strengths and weakness to lead a community. If a leader is able to lead others in a satisfactory, commitment way, many of the community will listen and make changes. However, a leader's message should concentrate on delivering the positive meaning and not the opposite."

This Week:

Analysis:
My definition for this week is different from last week's definition since it focuses on being organized as a leader. From reading "Metamorphosis: Sustaining leadership change" it discussed about in order to become a great leader, you have to be able to build new opportunity from personal experiences and new learning style to become a successful leader (Goleman, Boyatzis, & McKee, 2002). If a leader is always using the same skills, then they will never grow as a leader since taking part, as a leader will face many different challenges as time passed by.

Sources:

Goleman, D., Boyatzis, R., & McKee, A. (2002). "Metamorphosis: Sustaining leadership change." Primal Leadership: Learning to lead with emotional intelligence (pp. 139 - 168). Boston: Harvard Business School Press.:

Week: 6

Last Week:
"Being in a choking or panic mood, it is important to step back and look at the big picture "balcony perspective" just so that you can be aware of the outcome of your action. (Gladwell, 2000) As a leader, knowing your own perspective will lack improvements and adjustment as to viewing things from many different perceptions."

This Week:

Analysis:
My definition for this week is different from last week's definition since it only focuses on the positive outcome of a leader's action. From reading "The Sweet Spot for Achievement", Goleman discuss about the upside-down "U" graph where stress, optimal cognitive efficiency and anxiety plays a huge role as a leader. If a leader was to fall near stress and anxiety, there's a chance where he/she may not do well. I believe this example also relate to the other readings from Gladwell "The Art of Failure: Why some people choke and others panic". Along with the other reading "A social change model of leadership development" Astin pointed out that self-reflection is important when leading a group because without self-reflection, there wouldn't be self-knowledge. Without self-knowledge, a leader would find it hard to knowledge others and know his/her true identity. Overall, I believe that leaders should be aware of the outcomes when making choices to a community and especially for them.

Sources:
Goleman, D. (2006). "The Sweet Spot for Achievement." Social Intelligence: The new science of human relationships (pp. 267 - 284). New York: Bantam Books.

Astin, H. S., & Astin, A. W. (1996). A social change model of leadership development: Guidebook (version III) (pp. 4 - 27). Los Angeles: University of California Los Angeles Higher Education Research Institute.d

Week 5:

Last Week:
Every one has the ability to put them in a position where they are capable of feeling one or the other situation before jumping to conclusion. To become an important leader, you must have a leadership vision to guide you to what ever you are trying to accomplish. Leader can encounter many situation of "Right versus Right" and to be in that position, it's a huge impact to make a difficult decision that could affect your leadership and your team.

This Week:
Being in a chocking or panic mood, it is important to step back and look at the big picture "balcony perspective" just so that you can be aware of the outcome of your action. (Gladwell, 2000) As a leader, knowing your own perspective will lack improvements and adjustment as to viewing things from many different perceptions.

Analysis:
My new definition of leadership could connect to the last week definition since the both explained the important of having a vision. From the helpful reading from Heifetz, Linskty and also Gladwell, I learned that leader could encounter some of the difficult decisions and how there are ways to overcome those difficulties. Like In "The Art of Failure: Why some people choke and others panic", Gladwell highlighted at the last page that many people who failed either because of chocking and panicking (Gladwell, 2000) and from the other readings "Get on the balcony", (Heifetz and Linsky) it discussed about how having a balcony perspective could bring out the big picture of a difficult situation (Heifetz & Linsky, 2002). Both readings have a strong connection because if a leader is in a situation of chocking and panicking, having a balcony perspective can be a useful guide to overcome that situation. I believe that a leader to use this sort of tool could encounter a positive outcome when dealing with a difficult situation.

Gladwell, M. (2000). "The Art of Failure: Why some people choke and others panic." The New Yorker, 84 - 92. Retrieved from http://www.gladwell.com/pdf/choking.pdf

Heifetz, R. A., & Linsky, M. (2002). "Get on the balcony." Leadership on the Line: Staying alive through the dangers of leading (pp. 51 - 74). Boston: Harvard Business School Press.

Week 4:

Last Week
From experiences, I learned that leadership should be well prepared into leading many followers since their quality of leading others are held responsible to the outcomes. Leader's duty is to focus improving its leadership skills first and then improve their team to become successful. According to D.T. Kyle, he believes that Presence is the quality to resulting positional and personal power to merging individuals. (Kyle, p. 173)

This Week:
Every one has the ability to put them in a position where they are capable of feeling one or the other's situation before jumping to conclusion. To become an important leader, you must have a leadership vision to guide you to what ever you are trying to accomplish. Leader can encounter many situation of "Right versus Right" and to be in that position, it's a huge impact to make a difficult decision that could affect your leadership and your team.

Analysis:
Both of my quote from last and this week are quite similar since last week basically talks about how leadership should be well prepared into leading their follower and this week talks about how being a leader should have a vision that can guide them to become a successful leader. The only differences that I could see from the two would be the wording that I used such as "prepared" and "vision". From the Lee & King reading, I value their discussion a lot since I was able to connect to what they are trying to say like how having a personal vision should reflect based on your values, social life and past experiences. (Lee & King, 2001) Using those reflections would build a strong, efficient leadership vision to the organization and to you.

Lee, R. J., & King, S. N. (2001). "Ground your leadership vision in a personal vision." Discovering the Leader in You: A guide to realizing your personal leadership potential (pp. 31 - 54). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, Inc.

EDPA 1301: Weekly Blog

Last Week:
"My definition of Leadership is someone who present positive approach and share dreams to their team or organization. It listen to individuals' thoughts or concerns and not just its' own interpretation. Leadership involves working with as many different people and not favor it's own interest of human kind."

This Week:
From experiences, I learned that leadership should be well prepared into leading many followers since their quality of leading others are held responsible to the outcomes. Leader's duty is to focus improving its leadership skills first and then improve their team to become successful. According to D.T. Kyle, he believes that Presence is the quality to resulting positional and personal power to merging an individuals. (Kyle, p. 173)

Analysis:
My definition for week 2 and 3 seems similar but from the different readings, my knowledge had improved in depth since i learned that in order to become a great leader, there are many approach to unlock to become a successful leader. For example, the reading from Kyle, D. T. (1998) ("The sovereign: The power of presence") he talks about the six characteristic of presences and how he quoted that each of them were very hard to obtain but with deep passion into working on individual presence, He believes that many leaders can achieve it. This section of the reading was very valuable since I thought about my leadership skills and how I can use that six presence to improve my leadership future on. Just like the experiences (stories) that he wrote towards the each of the presences in ways that i felt connected to each of them because of my past experiences. I guess the only thing that really bothered me were the message he was giving it too since he used a lot of "He".

Kyle, D. T. (1998). "The sovereign: The power of presence." The Four Powers of Leadership: Presence, intention, wisdom, compassion (pp. 159 - 191). Deerfield Beach, FL: Health Communications Inc.

Recent Comments

• Colin McFadden: Nice thoughts. I think you're missing a bit of the read more
  • Colin McFadden: As I mentioned in week 5, I still think that read more
  • Colin McFadden: The new definition is a bit confusing. Be clear about read more
  • Colin McFadden: I like the revision to your definition, though the phrasing read more
  • Colin McFadden: It seems like your new definition is a bit narrow. read more
  • Colin McFadden: I don't entirely understand your last sentence, but solid post read more
  • Colin McFadden: Solid post. Double check your bibliographic style, it's not quite read more