What Next: Writing Prompt - February 22 - 28

What next?

Being off this semester and seeing the end of my program in the distance (two more classes, but a ton of writing), I have been asking myself the question - what next?

Do I keep plugging along on my bibliography, reading the next book to inspire more research? Or do I buy groceries? Or do I clean and dust the house...has it been a month? Or do I sit in front of the TV and catch up on Project Runway and America's Next Top Model? Or worse yet, get sucked in by Bravo's Housewives of - you fill in the blank.

What next?

Please share your thoughts, stories, poems, essays, and prose pieces on this topic. See the "How to Become an Author" blog entry for further information on responding to this and all future prompts. We welcome all posts, if your writing doesn't end up speaking to the prompt but is triggered by it, we want to know!

Happy Writing!

What's in Your Way: Writing Prompt Jan. 25 - 31

It's been awhile since I have posted a writing prompt. School got in the way...along with other life issues.

Which is my writing prompt. What gets in the way of doing what you want to do, write, sing, draw, visit with friends, take a day off, the list is endless! How do you get around the barrier that is in your way? Are there times of the year where you have more conflicts than other times? What gets in your way and how do you solve the problem or not.

Happy Writing!

School: Writing Prompt October 1 - 7

School, I feel like that's my life right now: learning, writing, interacting with classmates, teachers, instructors, staying up late, catching up on reading assignments, trips to the library, searching for books, files and articles, losing sleep, worrying, passing tests, failing classes, endless hours on your a-- in front of a desk, table or other hard surface. The list is endless.

What is your school experience? Are you thinking of going back to school? What memories, good, bad or otherwise, do you have of school?

Nature

I went on a road trip a couple of weeks ago to visit friends in Lethbridge, Alberta. My travel buddies and I drove through North Dakota and Montana cutting up to Canada via Interstate 15. What has stuck with me, since being back, is the land and the way it looks, the mountains, buttes, river valleys and the great plains.

How does nature affect us as we live in it and around it, or not? Does the sight of mountains, lakes, etc. renew your spirit? Inspire growth? How does nature speak to you?

Please consider writing a blog post for our collective blog. Please pass on to your writer friends! Also, remember this is simply a suggestion to get your thoughts and writing going, we welcome all writings by women of color on our blog!

Happy Writing!

Kandace and Lori

August Writing Prompt - Vessels of Pain

For the month of August please consider writing a blog post for our collective blog. Please pass on to your writer friends! Also, remember this is simply a suggestion to get your thoughts and writing going, we welcome all writings by women of color on our blog!

I have recently returned from a two week research journey where I collected the oral histories of five women in my family. It is an amazing experience to learn the histories of your own flesh and blood and I have been reflecting on the journey since my return. In her book, A Taco Testimony: Meditations on Family, Food and Culture, Denise Chávez writes, "All my life I have been trying to write my family's story. It hasn't been easy, not because I can't remember, but because I can't forget" (17, 2006). I trust that many of us know these words to be true of our own lives and experiences. After collecting these oral histories I came back from my trip with both joy and pain in my heart. The rivers of pain that flowed from these women's stories seemed to pool within me as my advisor, Edén Torres noted, this caused me to become "a vessel of pain". How do we as women deal with this pain as we constantly carry it with us in this world? What stories, poems, writings do you have that both illuminate this pain and help to deal with this pain?

Happy writing!

Kandace and Lori

Home: Writing Prompt July 14 - 21

As a kid, visits to Menonmonie, WI were a staple in the summer. Trips to my mom's family home made me feel I was a part and apart of something. What does home mean to you? What memories does it conjure up. Do you feel at home where you currently live? Are you still trying to find home? Or doesn't home matter? Why are we drawn to having a place called home? What does home mean to you.

We would love to have your thoughts, stories, poems, esaays, and prose pieces on this topic, we want to hear from you! Please see the "How to Become an Author" blog
entry for further information on responding to this and all future prompts. We welcome all posts, if your writing doesn't end up speaking to the prompt but is triggered by it we want to know!

Happy writing!

Color: Writing Prompt July 1-8

With summer comes color, or colors. Write about what it means to you. Color. Is it full of meaning or is it not? Do certain colors turn you on or turn you off? How do you think of color in relation to your gender or sexuality? Are you consumed by colors or do you consume them?

We would love to have your thoughts poems, esaays, prose pieces on this topic,
we want to hear from you! Please see the "How to Become an Author" blog

Happy writing!

Summertime: Writing Prompt June 16-22

Let's kick off our writing prompt with Summertime. George Gershwin wrote
Summertime, when the livin' was easy. When you hear the word Summertime, or
Summer, what do you think of? Who is or is not with you in the Summertime?
Where do you go in the Summertime?

Please submit your blogs on this topic by midnight on Monday June 22nd. While this is not a "strict" deadline, we will be posting a new prompt the following week, but if inspiration strikes you past this "deadline" please feel free to share your words.

entry for further information on responding to this and all future prompts.