Criminal investigation launched by Feds in Bay Area Oil Spill
A federal criminal investigation has been opened on Sunday for the cargo ship that struck the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge and dumped over 50,000 gallons of oil into the bay last week, according to U.S Coast Guard Officials.
"The U.S. attorney's office has opened a criminal investigation," said Coast Guard Lt. Anya Hunter, according to CNN.
The entire crew of the Cosco Busan will be brought in for questioning in the case, said Capt. William Uberti, who is head of the Coast Guard for Norhtern California, according to the Associated Press.
Preliminary investigations by the Coast Guard discovered that human error likely caused the crash and not mechanical failure, according to the Associated Press.
Authorities closed numerous beaches and shores from public access due to the possibility of health related issues, according to CNN. Fishing in some locations has also been banned.