« Identical twins born after successful surgery in mother's womb | Main | Milwaukee area family charges with being part of marijuana ring »

Bachmann aires ad admitting to verbal fumble

U.S. Rep Michele Bachmann aired a television ad this week in which she admits only to a verbal fumble referring to her controversial remarks about Barack Obama and congress last week in an interview on MSNBC program "Hardball."
"I may not always get my words right, but I know that my heart is right because my heart is for you, for your children and for the blessings of liberty to remain for our great country," said Bachmann, R-Minn.
The ad does not refer directly to her televised comments last week that Obama "may have anti-American views" and that the media should investigate whether members of Congress are "anti-American."
After the interview, Michele said she regretted using the term "anti-American," does not believe Obama is "anti-American'' and "made a big mistake'' appearing on "Hardball.''
Since the interview, her opponent, Democrat El Tinklenberg, has raised almost $1.5 million and pulled slightlty ahead of Bachmann in two polls.
Bachmann also aired a second ad accusing Tinklenberg of supporting property tax increases while mayor of Blaine and having relationships with contractors while state transportation commissioner during the Ventura administration.
A Minnesota Public Radio News-University of Minnesota poll Friday showed Tinklenberg leads Bachmann 45 percent to 43 percent, with Independence Party candidate Bob Anderson favored by 5 percent. The poll's margin of error is 4.7 percentage points.
The MPR-University of Minnesota poll also shows 37 percent of voters said they were less likely to vote for Bachmann because of her comments made on "Hardball." 8 percent said they were now more supportive of Bachmann and more than half of those polled said the comments made no difference.
Bachmann spokeswoman Michelle Marston said that after a week of media attention, "Quite frankly, if I were El Tinklenberg, I would be quite disappointed. I would have expected much better numbers." Tinklenberg spokesman John Wodele said, "What this poll does is give credibility to the fact that Tinklenberg is seizing the moment here and continuing a momentum that probably started two weeks ago.''