« Hundreds gather at Loring Park for 10-year anniversary of Matthew Shepard's death | Main | Wisconsin No. 1 in binge drinking »

Bachmann says Obama "may" be anti-American

State Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann said in a TV interview Friday that she is concerned that Barack Obama "may have anti-American views," reported The Associated Press.
In an interview on the MSNBC show "Hardball," host Chris Matthews asked Bachmann if she thinks Obama may have anti-American views. Bachmann replied, "Absolutely. I'm very concerned that he may have anti-American views."
Bachmann said she is concerned with Obama's past associations with his former pastor, Jeremiah Wright, and 1960s radical Bill Ayers. Similar criticisms have been made by presidential candidate John McCain and his running mate, Sarah Palin.
Bachmann is currently running for reelection in Minnesota's 6th District.
Nick Kimball, Minnesota spokesman for the Obama campaign, called Bachmann's criticisms "scare tactics and false attacks." Republicans are using comments such as these in order to distract voters from discussions of the economy, said Kimball.
During the "Hardball" interview, Bachmann also highlighted Michelle Obama's comment, "for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country," which she made earlier in the year.
"And so these are very anti-American views," Bachmann said.
Matthews also asked Bachmann, "How many people in Congress of the United States do you believe are anti-American?"
Bachmann replied, "I wish the American media would take a great look at the views of the people in Congress and find out, are they pro-America or anti-America?"
Michelle Marston, spokeswoman for Bachmann's reelection campaign, said it is "perfectly legitimate for the American people to want to know how all this informs his policy positions and what direction an Obama Administration would want to lead the nation."