My first post was six months ago, and I haven't missed a week since. I am an Iron Man.
Here's hoping MST has to give a talk in a terrible color. I am hoping for either florescent orange, or avocado green.
Either way, I look forward to yapc2010, and I hope CandyBar has the help he needs to pull off a good workshop.
I hope you all enjoyed your day and had some quality time with someone you love.
I have enjoyed the Perl Advent Calendar, and I hope you all did too, and that we all learned a bit from it as well.
Happy Christmas and Merry New Year.
I recently did a Mac OS X update on a computer that has my travian helper program. Now, what you need to know about my travian program, is that it is a CGI::Application program that uses TT, and Class::DBI (no comments on this please).
After my Mac os X update, I was getting the error: "Storable object version 2.13 does not match $Storable::VERSION 2.21 at /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/DynaLoader.pm line 253."
Now while the problem *seems* obvious, the solution does not, My Storable.pm was the most up-to-date version available from CPAN, and I couldn't find where/what was requiring 2.13.
On a hunch I tried updating DynaLoader, and then Storable. But both were already up to date.
So gasping for straws, I did a force install on Storable, (making sure all the tests passed), and behold, it worked.
I don't entirely know what the problem was, but I found the solution, and hopefully someone else will stumble upon this blog and find a solution that works for them.
Tomorrow we will review the Talks for Frozen Perl and create a schedule. I look forward to having this step of the process behind us.
I will post an announcement here once the schedule is up,
I currently have to convince a manager why an open source program that I use on a daily basis is just as good as the closed source application that does the same thing, except that we pay for it.
This issue is not so much about the individual products, which is why they are not named, but more about the mindset that it can only be good if you pay for it. The school of thought currently employed is that since we have the site license, we can use it without regard to cost (the university wide site license is paid for by someone else's budget).
This is just a minor frustration that I have encountered, and I was wondering what other people have done in this situation.
My fear is that once we start depending on the closed source software, the University will be unable to stop paying for the site license, because there are now actual legitimate users. If they re-evaluated and we were the only people using the tool, then we would incur a real (sizable) cost for everyone.