Assignment 5;

Part 1; Manipulating ideas
With my sub theme of winter being Thanksgiving I decided to choose a turkey baster as my archetypical existing product because it relates relatively to both of my problem statements and is an essential in the process of cooking the most important of elements in the Thanksgiving meal!

Keiko, a chef, needs a way to be able to sanitarily use minimal utensils for multiple jobs in the kitchen because the amount of food dishes being made at one time all contain different substances.

Jake, a graduate student, needs to be able to check on and baste the turkey without leaving the comfort of his couch because football is important to males.

SCAMPER;
Substitute; Even though the product is considered just a baster it is always refereed to as a turkey baster. Changing the name changes the scope of conceptual uses for the product. So referring to it as the 'Pancake Plopper' changes the whole perspective of the user towards the baster and associates the product with pancakes now instead of turkey.
SUBSTITUTE.jpg

Combine; Remembering to baste the turkey throughout the long day of cooking between watching football, preparing the rest of the meal and tending to family members is a tough job. If you combine the turkey baster with a timer that has an alarm to notify you continuously of when you need to baste the turkey it will keep you right on schedule!
COMBINE.jpg

Adapt; Instead of having to continuously baste your turkey or meat having little pods that penetrate the meat and that are filled with contents to help keep meat from getting dry and to give it flavor. These pods could be kept intact throughout the cooking process and slowly infuse the meat while placed in high impact areas. My inspiration for this was the concept of the cupping massage technique where flames are used to get the air out of the cups and then quickly and strategically placed on the back. This process results in lifting of the skin and tissue due to the lack of air to relieve tension in the muscles.
ADAPT.jpg

Magnify; Due to the suction-like aspect of the baster sometimes you don't suck up as much as is desired so by adding a 2 way vacuum-like element to the squishy top part of the baster it will intensify the force of which you use to squeeze the the top of the baster to suck up the contents and then distribute the contents as desired - concentrated or sprinkled throughout, and to whatever intensity.
MAGNIFY.jpg

Put to other use; Since the turkey baster is really only prominently used in the kitchen and sees the most love only one day out of the year I figured why not make the concept of the baster more broad and interchangeable. You could sell the squishy top part alongside multiple interchangeable pieces that all allowed for different things within the kitchen. The suction-like aspect of the baster allows it to pick up the juices settling in the pan and redistribute them throughout the dish/turkey as desired. This concept could be used to dry washed lettuce, juice things like lemons, mix chocolate milk without a mess, create fancy displays of food, make meatballs, help to mix and stir dry and wet ingredients separately or together, and much more.
PUT TO OTHER USE.jpg

Eliminate; The baster is a very simple utensil already and to eliminate anything from its 2 part composition would render it useless. But, to be able to compact the baster for storage is important since it is somewhat of a kitchen necessity. The long plastic part and the squishy ball-like top piece are one piece and eventually folds up into the top piece to prevent clutter and to allow for effective storage in a drawer, cooking utensil holder, or cabinet. Resembles those silicone mixing bowls and measuring cups that fold up in increments when your aren't using them.
ELIMINATE.jpg

Reverse / Rearrange; Attaching a 2 way system, resembling a sprinkler, to the inside of your oven to aid in multiple cooking jobs like keeping meat from getting dry, being able to add a little bit of moisture to baked goods, taking in grease splatters, sucking up unwanted odors like when you clean your oven, dispersing water in case of a fire, etc.
REVERSE.jpg

Part 2; Break it down
I started out using TRIZ as my table-based tool to generate ideas regarding the baster but I didn't receive the type of results that I had wanted so I decided to resort to the morphological analysis tool instead. I chose this tool over the TILMAG matrix because I felt that since the baster has a simple composition and its average uses are limited the morphological analysis would be the best tool to use because it would provide for a more concrete concentration on connections between other concepts, products, etc.
MATRIX.jpg

Here are 2 products that I created from my matrix and a random thought I had while trying to connect the listed things;

As you scoop up the contents with the ladle and pour them onto the object you can rub it in and spread it around with the bristles at make up the outside of the ladle.
LADLE BRUSH.jpg

The concept of the funnel is turned upside down to make the connection of the knife aspect which allows you to spread the contents over a desired areas while you use the silicone top to suck in and squirt out the contents
SILICONE FUNEL KNIFE.jpg

As I tried to connect all of the things together the idea of this squirt gun baster came to mind. You pull down on the back lever which sucks in the contents and you pull the trigger to squirt out the contents!
RANDOM THOUGHT.jpg

Part 3; From the ground up
Going back and looking at ideas from my brainstorming session I found these few ideas which I felt would be the most feasible of ideas.

I find this idea to be feasible on the basis of gel nail machines where you paint the polish on and you hold your hands in the machine of UV light for a certain amount of seconds and you pull them out and the polish is hard. I think this would be a very easy and effective way to prevent contamination and would certainly cut down on mess and eco related issues with cleaners and waste like paper towels. Credit to Dave.
Thumbnail image for photo 11.JPG

This moisture locking bag would allow for heat to cook the turkey while keeping the meat from getting dry and allowing for the turkey to fully absorb the brine. This wasn't a highly rated idea during the brainstorming session but I found it to be one of the most logical in relation to feasibility related to Jake's HMW statement. Credit to Constance.
Thumbnail image for TURKEY BAG.jpg

This idea was generated by my dad and his inspiration was those toilet seat covers that you press the button and the plastic slides across the seat and keeps changing.
Thumbnail image for photo 10.JPG

Part 4; Clearly sketch and label

Since your feet and your head largely control the temperature for your body I designed a boot that had different levels of "warmth" liners so you could switch them out depending on how you are feeling throughout the day.
BOOT WITH MULTI INSOLES.jpg

Since your hand as a whole gets cold when you pull your phone out of your pocket to text a hand warming phone case made out of warming technology would be perfect for communicating on those wintery days.
HAND WARMING PHONE CASE.jpg

Explained above.
SILICONE FUNEL KNIFE.jpg

I am guilty of always loosing my mittens so having a sleek compartment in your coat to hide a pair of subtly attached mittens to the inners of the sleeves would be so convenient on days you're in a hurry and forget your gloves.
HIDE AWAY MITTENS.jpg

When you're playing pond hockey outdoors in the winter and you use your hockey gloves there is no real warming aspect to them which totally interferes with your game! Having mittens that protect your hand with a layer on top and are able to grip your stick or the ice if you fall are the perfect solution!
HOCKEY MITTENS.jpg

This is one of my favorite ideas that I came up with for this assignment because I feel like the baster is very seldom used and takes up space and this is a very innovative way of storage and altering it to make it more convenient.
ELIMINATE.jpg

This is the perfect solution to shoveling for older people or just lazy people. Just roll the ice infused blankets on your driveway and the snow dissolves instantly and prevents an icy encounter.
MELT AWAY SNOW BLANKET.jpg

SMOOTH SHOVELIN'.jpg

ADAPT.jpg

WHEEL CHAIR SEAT WARMER.jpg

Nice job on all the different ideas generated! I'm not very big into cooking and am somewhat clueless when it comes to turkey basters, but what I could pull from the ideas and problems you listed, they seem innovative in the concept area.

It would have been nice to see what the results of the TRIZ process were even if they weren't what you desired. I think that is such a weird test and got strange results when I looked into it too.

Nice job overall, I think you have a very solid base to go off in the next couple weeks.