Assignment 6;

Part 1; Marketable
I had a lot of trouble with my image files in Survey Monkey and so I resorted to a printed survey that I gave to people I randomly saw at the library, in McNeal Hall, applicable family members, and other people I saw that I feel fit the demographics for these products. I received 21 surveys. I asked the same questions regarding all 10 prospective products because I felt that would be easiest to get a feel for what people were thinking. I included a photo of each product and on that same sheet with the same 4 questions and extra room for feedback or comments. *I added more price ranges to the survey once it was printed - $30-$40, $40-$60, $60-$80, $80-$100, and 'more' and they were asked to write it in.* Each sheet looks the same it just has a different product pictured. I then asked them to rank the products, from 1 to 10, in the order of most realistic [or feasible] to least. An example of the first survey sheet;
Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Screen Shot 2013-12-02 at 10.05.42 PM.png
Products & results;
I will summarize the results that I received for each product along with how they were ranked out of 10. If you need a refresher regarding these products and their purpose refer to Assignment 5's blog post!

ELIMINATE 1.jpg7; people were half and half on who would buy this product and if they would have a use for this product or not when they answered. Although people answered those two questions that way 14 of the 21 people did said that they found the concept of this product useful! As price is concerned 19 out of the 21 people said that they would only pay between $10 and $15 dollars for this product. I received two comments on this product. The first talked about how the concept of the product - a baster - is associated with one specific use pretty much and that it isn't that useful for most people on a large scale but the concept of it being able to fold up and take up less space when it isn't being used is what is most useful about this current design. The second commenter said that they didn't think that anyone would buy it because it was too similar to the original baster. I sought out 6, my mom, grandma, neighbor, 3 people leaving a foods class in McNeal, people I felt would have a good idea of how this product already worked and if it would be useful or not etc.

HAND WARMING PHONE CASE.jpg1; 19 out of the 21 people said that they would have a use for this product but 17 people said that they found the concept useful, only 2 people who answered that they would have a use for this product answered this way. The same 19 people who indicated that they would have a use for this product also said the majority said that they would buy this product for $20 to $30 dollars. These results surprised me. 3 comments were left. "Great idea but not useful year round", "I feel like this would cost more to make than you would get for it", "How would you control the temp? It's a cool idea but I think it needs some refining." This is a relevant product concept to anyone who is in a cold or wintery climate so I didn't specifically try to seek out specific people exactly but I did notice a difference in the answers due to the age of the person who answered this specific product survey.

HIDE AWAY MITTENS.jpg
6; 14/21 people said they found the concept of this product useful but only 8/21 said that they would have a use for this product. 5/21 answered the price question, 3/21 said that they would buy it for $60 - $80 and 1/21 said $80 - $100 and the other 1/21 said they would pay 'more' and wrote '$110 - $130ish'. 7 comments were left total. 6 stated something about already having mittens and 2/6 went on to say that it would be useful if they had forgotten their mittens. 1/7 asked "How warm would these be? If they have to fold up into coat they would be pretty thin?" This is a relevant product concept to anyone who is in a cold or wintery climate so I didn't specifically try to seek out specific people.

HOCKEY MITTENS.jpg
2; 17/21 people said that the concept of this product is useful and 15/21 said that they would buy this product. Only 11/15 said that they would have a use for this product. 11/17 people said that they would purchase this product for $30 - $40 dollars but 6 of those 17 people said that they would pay $40 - $60 dollars for this product! There were 5 comments left regarding this product, 3 comments said that it would be a great gift for a son or family member, "How would you make the palms sticky but not super sticky where your gloves would be able to slide on your stick?", and "This is a good idea for Minnesota and Canada but hockey isn't that huge anywhere else". For this product I targeted people who played hockey and moms and dads because I felt they had a good idea of if this would be something they would use or buy for their child for pond hockey.

MELT AWAY SNOW BLANKET.jpg5; Everyone indicated that they would have a use for this product and 18/21 people marked that they thought that the concept of this product was useful but only 9/21 said that they would buy this product. The price was pretty split between $20 - $30 and $30 - $40. The 7 comments that were left all questioned how long these would last and their durability. 1 comment made a point that "the carpets would be heavy to move". This is a relevant product concept to anyone who is in a cold or wintery climate so I didn't specifically try to seek out specific people.

photo 10.JPG8; 6/21 people said that they would have a use for this product but 10/21 said that they found this concept of this product useful to them. 2 people said that they would purchase this product but said that they would only pay between $10 - $20 dollars for these protective plastic covers. There were numerous comments on this product. There were 2 constructive comments, "Would these covers be Eco-friendly?, and "Are you able to reuse these covers and how would you clean them?". This wasn't a product I felt was super feasible so I was not as worried as targeting specific people when I felt that I had other more promising products in the survey to concentrate on. I did give my dad this survey and he came up with this idea during our idea generation session and looking at his response to this product he was not one of the 6 people who said that he would have a use for this product but he did say that he found the concept useful but commented that it needed to be more developed.

photo 11.JPG
9; 1 people of the 21 said that they would have a use for this product and 11 people answered that they found that the concept is useful but no one said that they would buy this sanitizing machine. No one listed a price point for this product concept. I was a little surprised by these results because I think this idea could be very efficient and cut down on waste, but that's just me. 2 comments were left, "What kind of light would be used to sanitize?", and "Look expensive to make, how would you sell these?". My dad came up with this idea as well and it was one of his favorite ideas that he came up with and he wished that he could have put a little more thought into it.

RANDOM THOUGHT.jpg10; no one responded well to this quirky idea. 3 people said that they would have a use for this product and 6 people answered that they found the concept of this goofy baster useful but no one said that they would buy it. The 4 comments that were left were all concerned with the functionality and the clogging of the baster gun.

SMOOTH SHOVELIN'.jpg3; 12/21 people indicated that they would have a use for this product and 18 of the 21 people said that they found the concept of this ice resurfacer useful. 9/21 people answered that they would purchase this product. 6 said that they would pay $40 - $60 and the other 3 indicated that they would pay $60 - $80 for this product. 1 comment was left "How easy would it be able to use for kids?"

WHEEL CHAIR SEAT WARMER.jpg4; 2 of the 21 people surveyed said that they would have a use for this but 18/21 said that the concept of this product would be useful. The 2 people who answered that they would have a use for the product are the only 2 who responded saying that they would purchase this product and they indicated 'more' but only one listed a price point of $150 - $250. I received 9 comments that all just complimented the idea. For this product I tried my best to target older people but I didn't have much success so the 2 who answered so positively to the concept are the 2 elderly people that I was able to find. 1 being my grandma but the other being an anonymous man I saw on campus.

Part 2; Novel

Patent search;
1; 1,220 existing patent results for a 'cell phone case hand warmer' popped up.
2; There are no existing patent results for 'pond hockey mittens' or 'hockey mittens'.
3; 46 results popped up for a 'ice resurfacing shovel' but all of them are related to ice resurfacing and have little relation to my concept of this shovel.
4; There are 487 results for 'wheel chair seat warmer' patents.
5; There are 1,750 results for patents regarding all types of 'snow blankets' that use heat, anti-freeze, etc. but as I glanced through them I didn't see anything about salt.

Part 3; Feasible

1; A major concern that I have for this idea is controlling the temperature of the case whether it is in use or not. I wouldn't know where to begin to find a plastic to make this out of.
2; I am really excited about this potential product, I think it could really thrive. I am concerned with how to construct the top part of the mitten and what I would use as the gripping material on the palm of the hand.
3; The total construction of this idea is concerning to me because I would want it to be functional but not bulky or heavy.
4; Pricing out the heated wheel chair seat product is intimidating, as well as it's construction because I wouldn't know where to begin with materials.
5; Nothing really concerns me about this idea except for all of the patent results that I got when I searched it.

I liked the construction of your questions, they covered a lot of information about your products! The layout of your results was a bit confusing to read though, it was hard to distinguish what the different responses were overall. Your sketches are really nice and show what the products do really well. You should have included what your top five products ended up being, and explained what the different patents were, not just listed how many popped up in your search. I think your products have a lot of potential, good work! :)

Your blog layout is a little bit confusing. Once I figured out what you were doing it was understandable though - consistency is great. One thing I would recommend for future surveys is for the price question to be a blank space. As it was said in class, making people come up with a price on their own produces the best results! Also, random responders might give you the most unbiased results rather than targeting certain groups of people.

I know you had a rating by each product, but it would be helpful to arrange them 1-10 on the blog rather than random numbers. This would help your top five to stand out more. I would love to see your research on other similar products, possibly in the form of a 2x2 matrix with pricing. This would really help you decide if the potential ideas were marketable or not.

You definitely have some ideas that could really go somewhere! I think the hockey mittens are a great modification of some things that already exist. How could you make those really stand out if you choose them for your final project?