journalism ethics

I went to a website on google called Society of Professional Journalists and it had the SPJ's code of Ethics in complete tet to read and then it also gave you resources. For example an ethics hotline. They also provided a "reading room" where you can check out relevant artices.
There were tons and tons of websites and articles on ethics. The text is very straight forward, making it a very important topic that all journalist should know and have read about.
I read a little bit about the Poyntor Inst. as well. i hadn't heard of it nor did i know what it offered until i did this exercise.

Businesses

I read an article from the star trib, that was about Petters and the Southwest Airlines...It seemed to me that the article told more of a story. I could see it happening in anyones home. The situation was described as if you were there. "Running down the stairs, my wife looking tierd..." It seems as if the story i read had more of a connection with its readers than some basic facts about an item or something that took place. The article started with a short blurb, and set the story up for you. Then the title was presented and then the lead. It seemed different than most other news stories i have read.
Another article that i read was on the mpr website and it wasn't formated like the star tribue website. It didn't start off with an informational paragrapht before the lead and the title. This article said the title and then the lead and then it continued on. It seemed to look similar to other news articles i have read.

Opinion

Obviously the opinion sections use "we" and "our" and more opinionated phrases. They don't have attributions, at least not the three i read, STR NYT and PIONPR. Not many quotes from outside sources, the person seems to be just stating the facts with a twist of their opinion.
Talks to the readers as if its a coversation, if you don't know how to vote then listen up!...something along those lines
Could have a question and answer format...You might not know who to vote for, right? Well most people don't quite yet. But if your stuck...
"If you don’t know any experienced appellate lawyers, then follow this two-step process:"-star tribune, and it goes on to list different steps.

Slide Shows

I looked at New York Times, MPR and Startribue...They were all a little bit different. I don't know if i wasn't looking in the right places but i had to hunt around to find some slide shows because i didn't see that many. I found one on Sartrib that i liked called New voices, new votes. it had audio which i liked. It had that peoples names that were speaking as well as their age. It was nice not haveing to read while trying to look at what the slide show was presenting. With the audio you could just enjoy the pictures. Secondly i looked at mpr, which showed the 2008 olympics. The pictures were very vivid and the slide show was well done. It didn't have audio but it had descriptions and dates of what was going on in the picture. Thirdly i looked at the NY times and they didn't have audio or description in the slide show i viewd. I felt uninformed and i didn't like it as much as the other three slideshows.

covrering vice pres. debate

Star Tribune
The article that was done on the 3rd of Oct. Reading it made me feel like the debate was more layed back. I didn't get to watch it, but it sounded like Palin was trying to crack some jokes, to ease up the tension between the two candidates. For example, the article said that she asked Biden if she could call him Joe. Otherwise it said that Biden tried using his fire on McCain more so than using it on Palin.
Also, it made Palin look good...saying she did better speaking in this debate than she has on other interviews
MPR
Reading MPR, it sounded like the debate was more heated...It says that Palin stood her ground while being scrutnized by the "experienced" Biden. It mentions that Palin's polls have been dropping as people question her readiness. As well as the star tribune, it was mentioned that Palin was using some laid back not promising language. For example like betchya, and gonna rather... People question this

covering the debate

Pioneer Press= The press talked about McCain and Obama being tied in the debate according to people that night and then a couple days after it looked like people were saying that Obama pulled ahead..."46 percent of debate-watchers believed Obama outperformed John McCain, while.just 34 percent said McCain got the better of the exchange."
Star Tribune= John McCain says White House race boils down to question, 'country first or Obama first?'...They covered McCain the most in this article, and talked about his stabs to Obama. They lead with saying that McCain is behind in the poles and went on to talk about Sara Palin being excited for the vice pres. debate to come
wall street journal=this news paper covered McCain and Obama and their seperate views on the same issue. Noting that they do have similar veiws on the 700 dollar bailout. Otherwise they went on to talk about Obama and McCain being interviewed on saturday and sunday, and not on the debate.

Wall Street

All the articles were informative. I recieved my articles from the Washington Post, Start Tribune, and New York Times. The Washington Post talks about Japan, and how they are doing fine in Japan. They talk about having so much money. The article talks about how they are bennefiting from the crisis and that they are fat with cash. The start tribune leads with, how the crisis is very scary, and how they need financial bailout. They go on to talk about, speed is not key it is getting everything right that is key. There isn't time to redo what is done if they quickly try to fix things the wrong way. The New York Times uses emotion. In there lead they talk about being scared and about survival.
New York TImes=In London, some managers have whispered that they may sue the Financial Services Authority, the British regulator, for temporarily outlawing short-selling against financial firms, one of their basic investment tools.