Where should bus stops go ...

In a nice article in The Oregonian about my friend Robert Bertini's Portland State University lab: Lab helps TriMet glide to more green lights , simulation tests comparing bus stop locations on the near and far side of intersections shows bus stops should go on the far side of intersections, reducing bus delay. This is a valuable use of simulation, that should be corroborated with empirical evidence (though I am fairly sure it is right). I suspect in general it also reduces the delay of other vehicles. Another question is how does it affect access times to bus stops, which depends on local land use issues.

As the project director of a large (7000 buses) bus signal priority project covering 10 000 bus stops and 4 000 sets signals, I concur that downstream bus stop locations are critical to priority provision and service efficiency.

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on July 28, 2006 9:16 PM.

Los Angeles Traffic was the previous entry in this blog.

Markets Attack! is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives