Knock-on effects

Why I couldn't get off the train at Victoria station tonight: London fire causes commuter chaos

"A fire in southeast London has resulted in the closure of a mainline and underground stations, causing chaos for commuters.

London Bridge station was closed following fears that gas cylinders could explode in railway arches in Bermondsey.

Firefighters threw a 200 metre exclusion zone around the workshop where a blaze broke out in the morning.

Even though the fire had been put out, a London Fire Brigade spokesman said the tracks could remain closed overnight if acetylene gas cylinders were found at the workshop.

The closure of London Bridge station - used by thousands of workers in the City - had a knock-on effect elsewhere, with Victoria underground station temporarily shutting because of overcrowding.

Rail services are also affected at Cannon Street, Charing Cross and Waterloo East."

So the train I am on tonight (Victoria line), while returning from a seminar at UCL, does not stop at Victoria (where I want it to stop, to transfer to the District Line), and where given the name of the line, it is implied it will stop, and proceeds past. I got off at Pimlico, and found a bus #360 to Sloane Square, and transferred to my favorite #22, though it took 15 minutes before it arrived and the bus was packed to the gills with people sitting on the steps.

Had I known it was not going to stop, I would have gotten off earlier (Green Park) and transferred. That would have required at most 5 minutes advance warning given to the driver to inform the passengers. Perhaps I was just unfortunate and the decision to close Victoria station was made while I was on the train between Green Park and Victoria.

At any rate there were lots of peeved and confused passengers exiting at Pimlico.

And all of this occurred because gas canister "might" explode. Somehow I would feel more comfortable with my inconvenience if they actually exploded. (I understand logically that is probably a risk authorities should not take).

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on May 23, 2007 2:40 PM.

FasTracks are Expensive Tracks was the previous entry in this blog.

Transportation among our ant overlords is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives