The transportation of police

From today's wapo: Segways on patrol.

I am not sure when the over-hyped ginger became the folly of the Segway, I think they are sort of neat, if over-priced (but that comes from low demand). But somehow Segways have yet to take off. The article is an example of a niche where Segways might have an advantage, police officers on patrol. It is certainly better than having police in giant Chevy Caprices. They are also used by Maryland state police at BWI airport.

Transportation technologies need a base niche where they outperform others in order to gain traction in the market. Specialized markets like police may be what the Segway needs, though it might remain confined to its niches like airport people movers or warehouse forklifts.

Unfortunately this was explored when the segways first debuted, and they had a few shortcomings over the basic bicycle patrol. 1. after a pursuit the officer can drop a bike and continue on foot, how does he or she do that with a bike? 2. The bike is cheaper to purchase and maintain.

Though I do hope an application is found for them.

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on June 1, 2007 1:54 AM.

Didn't I see this on the Italian Job was the previous entry in this blog.

New York Gets Decent Street Furniture is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives