Shipping Container Architecture

Via Boing-boing: Making Light: Shipping container architecture. A really nice post about the use of excess shipping containers for housing and other purposes. With the disproportionately one-way flow of containerized commodities from Asia to the US, there are a surplus of containers landing on US shores (most are of course shipped back), the post details a number of articles about their reuse.

Good article you've linked to. Here in London, apart from the odd trendy housing project, they haven't taken off. But they certainly appeal to me - a neat combination of reducing waste, recycling and solving the problem of those excess containers, in one fell swoop.

I think we really need to smarten up in today's society. 30% of the worlds population is living easy while the other 70% is barely even able to keep existence. Something wrong with that picture!

I like the ideas presented in that article but I think it's not the direction we should be focused on. We keep putting band-aids on gun wounds... Eventually it's not going to pan out.

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on October 14, 2007 9:32 AM.

Car sharing and congestion pricing with compensation was the previous entry in this blog.

Centers are edges is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives