Escalators

An interesting article on elevators:
Taken for a Ride

From the article:
"According to statistical findings attached to the Energy Efficiency Act, which became law in 2006, 90 billion people each year ascend and descend on escalators, making it a more popular form of transportation than commercial airliners. The national energy use of escalators is estimated at 2.6 billion kilowatt hours per year, equivalent to powering 375,000 houses; its cost is roughly $260 million."

Well, $260M is less than $1/person in the US per year, not too bad all things considered.

I saw intermittent escalators deployed at the Zurich airport. Its a bit unnerving at first, you think the elevator isn't working, and then it starts just as you step on. Of course, in Switzerland, everything does just work, so why I would think it wasn't working is beyond me.

The article implies we should just climb stairs, which seems a bit hair-shirt wearing to me, given for less than 1/3 of a cent a day in variable cost, I get unlimited escalator rides. (My son insists on riding every escalator he sees, regardless of where it is going).

The number of escalators in the US = 30,000 ..., just over 2 for every McDonald's restaurant in the US (or one for every 10,000 people).

One for up and one for down, although I can't think of any double decker McDonald's restaurants off the top of my head although I'm sure there are some.

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on July 3, 2008 1:15 AM.

The 20-Ton Packet was the previous entry in this blog.

Shocking pedestrian bridge is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives