Jumpstarting the Transit Space Race

ReconnectingAmerica.org is proposing to jumpstart the transit space race, suggesting that all proposed transit lines could be built in the US for a mere $248 billion. They provide a nice comprehensive list You know, this is less than $1000 per person (and annualized, less than $100 per person per year, less than $0.30 per day for the option of using transit if I am in a city with transit).

(And half that if we retained a federal 50% matching requirement).

(Of course, it is closer to $100,000 for every current regular transit user)

If the transit advocates promised never to advocate another line, and go away for something like 20 or 30 years, and I never had to think about this issue again, it would be well worth it to me personally.

Somehow, I think every proposed line in the US would cost more than $248 billion, (and certainly if the spigot were open, many more proposals would surface) but this includes selected intercity High Speed Rail (Milwaukee to Madison) and not others (California HSR).

Nevertheless, a nice piece of policy advocacy work in front of the coming reauthorization.

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on October 18, 2008 6:37 PM.

The need for speed was the previous entry in this blog.

The Future of Driving is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives