Airport sign cost jumps past $2 million

From Strib: Airport sign cost jumps past $2 million. Probably should make clear that it is more than one sign, not clear from the article how many though.

Faced with complaints that an estimated 20,000 people show up at the wrong terminal each year, MAC has been considering proposals to change the terminal names on the signs and list the airlines that fly out of each terminal.

20,000 out of some 35,000,000 is about 1 out of 1750. If the 20,000 number is remotely correct, this does not seem to be much of a problem, as a commenter notes "you can't cure stupid". I suspect each of us goes to the wrong place more frequently than 1 out of every 1750 trips (or say once every two years). Another way of thinking about it is 1 passenger on every 10 flights showed up at the wrong terminal (and even that is rectifiable by taking the LRT between terminals if they got there early enough).

Of course signs are expensive, and it is important to convey information to travelers, but is there really a problem if only 20K out of 35M get lost?

The highway signs at MSP do not list airlines (inside the airport the driveway does). Of course NWA/Delta has a huge share of the market, and Terminal "1" (Lindbergh) is at least some 85 or 90% of all flights, and Terminal "2" (Humphrey) (Suncountry and some other charter operators) is accessed from another highway, since it is on the opposite side of the airport.

That said, the cost of the signs (and signals, and other infrastructure) always amazes me, but you have a free market in the supply of construction (certainly most road construction is privately supplied, I think signs are too, but I am not certain) and companies bidding, and I am sure bid-rigging never goes on.

I have less objection to the cost which is probably high, than to the lack of real benefit these signs will provide, which is certainly low.

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on July 5, 2009 8:19 AM.

Is Bicycling Bad for Your Bones? was the previous entry in this blog.

Hybrids boost Toyota and Honda car sales is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives