Maybe Pigs Can Fly

Our "classic" 1996 study on High Speed Rail is cited in Maybe Pigs Can Fly by Richard K. Green in Wall Street Pit.

"A couple of other points. I have yet to meet a transportation economist (and I talk to a fair number) who is thrilled by high-speed rail as a technology. John Kain was among the most rigorous and influential transportation economist of the past 50 years, and he was very skeptical about rail. I also think that we yet again have evidence that we don't come even close to internalizing the social costs of automobiles, but I see no political will for really reducing our dependence on the auto, in part because most people love their cars (this is hardly unique to America). High speed rail also seems to me to be a way to redistribute income from lower income Americans to higher income Americans, because lower-income Americans will choose Southwest Airlines (which will be cheaper) when they need to travel from one city to another."
David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on August 26, 2009 1:37 PM.

State Seeks Stimulus Funds to Study High-Speed Rail was the previous entry in this blog.

Google LatLong: Arterial traffic available on Google Maps is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives