U.S. System for Tracking Traffic Flow Is Faulted

A link from AD in the NYT: U.S. System for Tracking Traffic Flow Is Faulted. I am not familiar with the system, but obviously publicly paid for data should be free to the public. I suspect this is a problem of either bureaucratic incompetence or crony capitalism in the previous administration. The technology (at least the travel time parts) will soon be obviated by crowd-sourced travel time information from GPS equipped cell phones, assuming someone can get critical mass on the number of "probe" vehicles.

Comments?

I think that shoud be the public service, if charged, it is unreasonable.

Similar story for BART arrival data dissemination on mobile phones.Link to the article provided below. The guy who developed the app (called Routesy) used an ingenious way to provide useful information, but the data apparently had to be licensed (?)

http://digital.venturebeat.com/2009/06/27/apple-kills-routesy-app-my-iphone-gets-less-useful/

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on December 16, 2009 5:38 PM.

Waze: Crowd-sourced real-time (lagged) traffic information was the previous entry in this blog.

Washington Avenue Bridge to receive $56 million re-decking is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives