Architecture - Plan Calls for Rebuilding Haiti Away From Port-au-Prince

From NYT: Architecture - Plan Calls for Rebuilding Haiti Away From Port-au-Prince

"the plan is built around a bold central idea: to redistribute large parts of the population of Port-au-Prince to smaller Haitian cities, many of them at a safe distance from areas most vulnerable to natural disaster. In the process the plan would completely transform Haiti from a country dominated by a single metropolis to what the planners call a network of smaller urban "growth poles."

....

"This will only work if these poles become magnets of attraction -- with agriculture, tourism, industry and especially jobs," Mr. Voltaire said. "Otherwise, these people are going to come back.""

by doing so the planners are forgoing economies of agglomeration at Port-au-Prince. What were the positive externalities that led to massive growth there rather than elsewhere. Do they no longer exist? Can they be replicated elsewhere? Will government be decentralized as well? Will businesses move?

Hi. I wanted to drop you a quick note to express my thanks. I have been following your weblog for a month or so and also have picked up a ton of good information as well as enjoyed the way you have structured your site. I'm attempting to operate my own blog but I believe its too general and I wish to concentrate more on scaled-down topics. Being all points to all individuals is not all that its cracked up to be.

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on March 31, 2010 7:08 AM.

Number theory was the previous entry in this blog.

Networks and Intelligence (are cities brains?) is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives