Apple like railroads in 1800s

Adobe, which makes Flash, is complaining about Apple Computer ensuring that only its own compilers be used for developing software on the iPhone OS,. This story from MarketWatch quotes an Adobe executive comparing Apple to the railroads (which strangely enough, I just did in the previous post in a completely different context.

Apple like railroads in 1800s: Adobe tech chief

"Apple's playing this strategy where they want to create a walled garden" around the Internet, Adobe Chief Technology Officer Kevin Lynch remarked at a tech conference in San Francisco. He then compared the company's moves to the deployment of railways with varying gauges in the 1800s, which precluded compatibility with the trains of rivals.

"If you look at what's going on right now, it's kind of like railroads in the 1800s," Lynch said.

I have walls (fences) around my garden, and the rabbits still get in. I think Apple operates more like a green house: secure, controlled environment that produces uniformly beautiful, healthy and functional plants (products).

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on May 5, 2010 1:55 PM.

Should the US government buy the freight railroads, take what it wants, and sell them. was the previous entry in this blog.

Getting the ball in the hoop is like commuting to work is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives