Low Expectations for High-Speed Rail at NYU Conference

Streetsblog New York City reports on the recent HSR conference Low Expectations for High-Speed Rail at NYU Conference

My talk on Economic Development and High Speed Rail gets a prominent mention:

"The most controversial comments of the day came from Professor David Levinson, a transportation engineer at the University of Minnesota. Pointing to pictures of surface parking lots next to high-speed rail stations in Japan and Europe, he argued that "there is no advantage to adjacency" -- that high-speed rail stations are barely more likely to spur walkable development than airports.

He also walked through a body of research showing that high-speed rail gives a significant economic boost to whichever city serves as the system's hub, but does little for cities on the spokes. Showing maps of hub-and-spoke networks proposed by municipalities from around the country, he noted that every city, no matter how small, imagined itself at the center."

This is not quite what I said, or at least, not quite what I thought I said, but it's not too far off. I meant, the economic boost for the hub is weak, the economic boost for the spokes is approximately non-existant.

A Keynote version of the slides are available here.

The paper is here.

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on June 18, 2010 4:13 PM.

OPML - List of Transportation Journals and List of Transportation blogs was the previous entry in this blog.

Study: Video conferencing could save $19B a year is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives