Study: Video conferencing could save $19B a year

In Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal Video conferencing could save $19B a year

A study sponsored by AT&T Inc. and conducted by the Carbon Disclosure Project estimates that skipping business trips and using video conferencing instead could save $19 billion a year.

The study also said that by 2020 companies in the US and UK that have more than $1 billion in revenue could cut CO2 emissions equal to taking about 1 million vehicles off the road for a year.

If the government confiscated that, it would *almost* be enough to pay for a small US high-speed rail system. However, if business travelers teleconferenced, we might not need intercity HSR. Clearly teleconferencing is getting better. (Although institutions are lagging individuals, I regularly video-conference with my mom, and managed my students from the UK in 2006-07 successfully, I cannot get any number of bureaucratic institutions to get this working without cajoling). Any opportunity to avoid the hassle and headache of most business travel would be greatly appreciated. As Wayne Gretzky said "Skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been."

full study here: Telepresence Revolution (the model looks fairly simple, but the general point obtains under any number of reasonable assumptions).

I can never decide which represents the greater waste and inefficiency: teleconferencing or business travel.

We have teleconferences very frequently, yet somehow still lose 15% of every meeting to technical problems.

Of course traveling to meetings involves even more dead time, but those meetings occur less frequently and generally have more productive outcomes.

Any thoughts on reasons for lagging institutions? It seems to me they would have a stronger financial incentive than individuals to embrace the technology, however the trend is opposite. Do institutions have less need for individual to individual teleconferencing (which is more usable than large meeting teleconferencing)? Are IT departments simply too risk-averse?

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on June 20, 2010 7:33 PM.

Low Expectations for High-Speed Rail at NYU Conference was the previous entry in this blog.

Commuting-When is it worth it? | Ask MetaFilter is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives