Kremlin Relents, for Now, to Foes of Russia Highway

NYT: Kremlin Relents, for Now, to Foes of Russia Highway

A highway revolt in Russia. I am impressed there is no freeway class road between Moscow and St. Petersburg to date, I think this is to complement the M-10:

MOSCOW -- For years, environmentalists have risked arrests and sometimes beatings by the police and masked plainclothes thugs in their efforts to halt the construction of a highway linking Moscow to St. Petersburg that they say would destroy the Khimki Forest, one of the few remaining in the Moscow region.

Typically in Russia, such efforts lead to little but holding cells or worse for proponents of a cause. But supporters of the Khimki Forest were handed a surprising victory on Thursday when President Dmitri A. Medvedev reacted to the public outcry. He postponed construction of the highway. "Given the number of appeals, I have made a decision," Mr. Medvedev said in a message on his video blog. "I order the government to halt the implementation of the decision to build this highway and conduct further civic and expert discussions."

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on August 27, 2010 9:48 AM.

In India, Many Potholes and Not Enough Engineers was the previous entry in this blog.

International System Safety Conference is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives