Using Crowds, and GPS, to Chart Roadkill

From NYT: Using Crowds, and GPS, to Chart Roadkill

While Mr. Ringen's friends goad him with nicknames like "Doctor Roadkill," he is not alone in his peculiar pursuit. Hundreds of volunteers collect and upload roadkill data to the California Roadkill Observation System, a mapping Web site built by researchers at the University of California, Davis, to better understand where and why cars strike animals.

(Are these guys like trainspotters?).

I want an app that will help me avoid pre-roadkill. So if someone sees a deer by the side of the road, they can press a button (not fiddle with their phone and go to a website and click on something while driving); and I will get a warning that there's a deer by the side of the road.

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on September 13, 2010 10:19 AM.

Study identifies critical "traffic engineer" of the nervous system was the previous entry in this blog.

'I'm Not Going to Be Interrogated As a Pre-Condition of Re-Entering My Own Country' - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives