Metro area is in line for color-coded transit

From the Strib (h/t HumanTransit) Metro area is in line for color-coded transit

University of Minnesota graduate Cole Hiniker is quoted:

"As we have a more complicated system that includes different modes, such as light rail and commuter rail, we need to illustrate to the customer how they can use all the services in an efficient manner," Cole Hiniker, a Met Council transportation planner, told Dakota County Board members recently as they learned how the plan could affect transit on Cedar Avenue

There are currently 127 bus routes, 1 LRT and 1 CR line in the Twin Cities, I can get a box of crayons with 128 colors, but somehow I don't think that is the best way to proceed. Clearly colors can be used for the top lines, but the rest of the network is confusing to non-regular users.

We should think about simplifying the network structure or network presentation, not just branding, when we organize things.

Unfortunately, you still have attitudes like this:

"If you're going to make the branding look alike on [BRT] buses and LRT, make the actual vehicle look the same," Commissioner Paul Krause said. "I have said this many, many times, and it still scares me that we're going to get a [regular] bus or a bus-looking BRT."

Buses are not LRT, they should not look like LRT. If Krause were in London, he would not want buses to look like the Underground, or the DLR, would he?

BRT and LRT are both very broad terms. But if you mean streetcars on their own right of ways but without grade separation, and buses on their own right of ways but without grade separation, that together form a cohesive network, with similar average speeds and stopping distances, then why not try to brand them to be as similar as possible?

That would not be the same as branding the underground and buses the same -- they have different speeds, capacities, stopping distances and have different roles.

I don't think buses have to look like LRT vehicles, as a matter of fact making them look like trains sometimes looks silly and caricature-like. However, branding special bus service should be mandatory when they are mimicking or being used like BRT service.

I like what New York City has done with its BRT service.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZh6bUgjn44&feature=related

The Cedar Avenue BRT that will open in a couple of years doesn't need special buses, just special advertising.

I guess we're not clear on what you mean by making them look alike; I assumed we're talking about making them look alike for example like in Paris. What they are doing seems to make sense to me.

Creating buses that are basically just trams on rubber wheels is not a good idea for several reasons, but I doubt this is what is meant here (or is it?)

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on November 4, 2010 10:01 AM.

Smart travel card to ease global travel was the previous entry in this blog.

Daylight Savings Time is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives