Going up?

Donald Norman talks about
New elevator design

- dml

The New York Times's new building has these. I was visiting for a seminar, and while I was baffled and didn't use them right on my first attempt, it only took one effort to learn how to. I love the idea.

The only issue is when they grow more common, people won't be able to assume which building use which system. (But they will be more prepared.)

7 World Trade Center has these, too, but the users never do anything. As you check into security the guard assigns an elevator and tells you which one will take you up. Coming down you can only go to the first floor. I assume delivery elevators do not use this system.
One odd outcome is you never learn how tall a building is. I know 7 WTC is at least 40 stories as that's the floor I occasionally go to. I have no idea how many stories are actually in the building.

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on March 6, 2011 5:52 PM.

Paul Yarossi of HNTB, Born to Be an Engineer - NYTimes.com was the previous entry in this blog.

"Street code" is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives