The Hammock District

An illustration of the clustering of similar retail activities:

Hank Scorpio: Uh, hi, Homer. What can I do for you?
Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.
Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks! Homer, there's four places. There's the Hammock Hut, that's on third.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Hank Scorpio: There's Hammocks-R-Us, that's on third too. You got Put-Your-Butt-There.
Homer: Mm-Hmm.
Hank Scorpio: That's on third. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot... Matter of fact, they're all in the same complex; it's the hammock complex on third.
Homer: Oh, the hammock district!
Hank Scorpio: That's right.

"The Simpsons" You Only Move Twice (1996) - Memorable quotes (speaking of James Bond films, Hank Scorpio looks a lot like Jimbo Wales)

This is something that struck me about Turkey -- whether mobile phone operators, jewelers, or luggage vendors, multiple stores selling more or less perfect substitute goods clustered together. A Turkish friend who moved to the U.S. and asked where to buy a phone was quite surprised to be told, "Well, the nearest T-Mobile is here, and Cingular's four blocks away on the other side of the freeway, and then there's AT&T a short bus ride away..."

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on March 31, 2011 12:33 PM.

Share of Hybrid Electric Vehicle Sales are down was the previous entry in this blog.

Why retailers cluster: an agent model of location choice on supply chains is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives