The rise of the robot car

I (and others) have been interviewed as part of the Minnesota GO project (sponsored by MnDOT and the Citizen's League) about the future of transportation. The selection of me talking about the rise of the robot car is below.

Good discussion. Just the start of the debate needed. Since many of the capital investments - for things like fixed guideway transit - are so long, we really should be considering how trends like automated vehicles and telecommunications will affect development patterns and trnsportation usage.

I really like the idea of a robot driving me around. Hope I live to see it. I was impressed with your discussion. Love, GMRoz

Also, car sharing would be much more practical... or ride sharing, if a person's reputation feedback suggested they are clean and reliable passengers. Could save energy and make use of now empty capacity.

With the advent of robot cars another group that will very likely have to change is insurance companies. Personally, I like the idea of not being subject to the lowered response times of cell phone talkers, texters, eaters and makeup artists who do their "thing" while driving. However, on a business level and as a leading insurance company in Cincinnati, I can see the benefit of not having as many accidents. Lowered or almost no vehicular deaths, less need for police officers, first responders, trauma teams, as well as the fact that hospitalization due to car accidents could cease. Would this lead to a reduction in auto insurance rates, or could it possibly mean the end to car insurance altogether? It will be interesting when more information becomes available and testing becomes widespread. I look forward to hearing more from you as robot cars make their mark on our daily lives.

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on April 27, 2011 7:02 AM.

Gas prices rise = accidents drop was the previous entry in this blog.

Are China’s high-speed trains heading off the rails? is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives