Duty free

At heathrow terminal 4 the lady at the duty free shop needed to see my boarding pass.

She said this was due to security. Taxes more likely. But isn't this an international terminal? Didn't I need a boarding pass to get in?

(I suppose I could have snuck in from another domestic terminal, and not plan to go on any flight and try to leave the terminal by some means other than airplane, but seriously?)

- dml

Both assumptions correct, primarily sales are audited for tax/vat purposes, secondly to check you were a bonafide traveller... this depends on what you buy as in fact only liquors and tobaccos are "duty free" in the UK, most other goods are tax/vat free if leaving the EU. For intra-EU travellers, they are not actually tax-free.. but I'd need a week to explain why on here!

I was told when I asked about this at another international airport after passport control that the shops use the information for the predictable marketing stuff too.

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on May 28, 2011 6:56 PM.

Passport verification was the previous entry in this blog.

Niet Roken is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives