Washington Ave. Closure Prompts Increased Taxi Cab Fares

KSTP's angle: Washington Ave. Closure Prompts Increased Taxi Cab Fares

I get my 8 seconds of fame on the video (available at the link above).
Washington Ave. Closure Prompts Increased Taxi Cab Fares The permanent closure of Washington Avenue near the University of Minnesota is prompting higher taxi cab fares. "Red & White Taxi" figures customers needing rides to University hospitals, hotels, or athletic events will likely pay several more dollars per cab ride. Drivers say Washington was the shortest route to campus and will now have to find longer alternatives. Analysts say ultimately if driving in the area becomes too cumbersome it may prompt more people to use light rail and rely less on vehicles.

Using google, the only place I could find that would take even 4 minutes longer from Downtown via University was on Washington right next to the river. Every place else would be only 2 minutes longer.

I wish this change were enough to give drunk college kids incentive to stop making bad decisions, but chances are they'll just keep blowing money on cabs.

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on May 17, 2011 7:54 AM.

Road Closed was the previous entry in this blog.

Homeland Security Doesn't Do Cost/Benefit Analysis; They Just Do Fear And Bluster | Techdirt is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives