Airplane Seat Reclining: A Good Real-World Altruism Test?

From Freakonomics Blog: Airplane Seat Reclining: A Good Real-World Altruism Test? Quoting WaPo:

Before things got out of hand, it was a typical annoyance that happens once a flight gets airborne: A passenger hit the recline button and sent his seat intimately close to the lap of the guy sitting behind him.

What followed wasn’t typical at all: a smack to the head, peacemakers diving about the cabin to intervene and a pair of Air Force F-16 fighter jets scrambling into the night skies over Washington.
It happened late Sunday, just after a United Airlines Boeing 767 bound for Ghana with 144 passengers took off from Dulles International Airport.

Not long after the 10:44 p.m. departure for the overnight flight, the offending seat was lowered into the offended lap, and a fight ensued. A flight attendant and another passenger jumped in between, said sources familiar with the incident who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to provide details.

The pilot has complete authority over the aircraft, a United spokesman said, and he decided to return to Dulles to sort things out rather than continue the transatlantic flight to Ghana when he was unsure of the scope of the problem.

My sympathies with the smacker.

Me, too! Ohhhh I just hate that. If you are going recline, turn around and ask and at least give me time to save my laptop.

I used to work as an aircraft seat mechanic supervisor, and I have to admit I would every now and then adjust the seat recline hydrolock to go waaaaaaaaaay back, I hope to god I never caused this kind of incident

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on June 3, 2011 8:27 PM.

Sinking Dreams of a Privately-Funded Subway in Toronto was the previous entry in this blog.

More than 4,000 National Academies Press PDFs Now Available to Download for Free is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives