Linklist: August 15, 2011

John Whitehead comments on Stillwater B/C AnalysisEnvironmental Economics: I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, I'm ready for some benefit-cost analysis "Using their average willingness to pay estimate for eleven study rivers and inflating to 2011 dollars gives a wild and scenic river value of $19 per user/nonuser. If 1 million people hold these values and the new bridge reduces them by 50% then the increased cost is about $100 million after 12 years and $150 million after 19 years, pushing the breakeven point out to 14 and 24 years."

Michael Wilson now blogs at Monkey Business. In his first post: Rehabilitating “Monkey”: "So I suggest that we rehabilitate the word “monkey” as a perfectly good word to use in describing chimpanzees and all the other apes, including us. Apes are just one particular branch of the monkey family tree. When I discussed this in class this spring, one of my students complained that officially classifying apes as monkeys would rob him of the pleasure of correcting strangers at the zoo when they go around calling gorillas and orangutans “monkeys.” To me, though, this seems like a happy case in which ordinary language fits perfectly well with good biology."

CNET writes about how Freedom of Speech is reduced to ensure Freedom of Movement: S.F. subway muzzles cell service during protest: "The operators of the Bay Area Rapid Transit subway system temporarily shut down cell service last night in four downtown San Francisco stations to interfere with a protest over a shooting by a BART police officer, a spokesman for the system said today."

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on August 15, 2011 11:23 AM.

Accessibility, network structure, and consumers’ destination choice: a GIS analysis of GPS travel data was the previous entry in this blog.

Do people use the shortest path? An empirical test of Wardrop’s first principle. is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives