Deconstructing the Minnesota Sports Complex #Wilfare

MNSportsComplex640

The Minnesota Sports Complex, like an inferiority complex, plagues the state. If we in Greater>>MSP lack one pro sports team in the Big Four, we are inferior to big cities who have all four teams, like Los Angeles, or New York (er. New Jersey).

But I am not here to talk about psychology, I am here to talk of urban form. The image above, apparently from the Vikings, looking eastward towards the sadly named Minnesota Sports Complex because naming rights have yet to be sold, makes some very significant proposals about urban form.

(1) The LRT will run on a car-free mall with new pavers. This is unlike today. 5th Street will join the Washington Avenue Mall on campus and Nicollet Mall as pedestrian/transit mall. I am cool with that.

(2) The two blocks just north of 5th street will have surface parking lots. Seriously? After this level of investment, the Vikings don't believe that there will be demand for structures, even structured parking? What kind of redevelopment is this? I am not cool with that.

(3) There will be meandering sidewalks south of the parking but north of fifth, despite the straight pedestrian mall. Why? Is this because it resembles the edge of a football?

(4) I see some open-air transit-like vehicles (lollies in Century Village East retirement community terms). This is for the oldsters who can't walk a couple of blocks? Why can't this run on the transit mall? What becomes of the paths the other 357 days a year?

surface parking lots should be illegal in DT Mpls

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page contains a single entry by David Levinson published on April 25, 2012 8:19 AM.

Linklist: April 25, 2012 was the previous entry in this blog.

Linklist: April 26, 2012 is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives