Recently in Books Category

Bill Garrison and I are completing the second edition of The Transportation Experience (first edition here), and are looking for people who are willing to read part or all of the manuscript (~750 pages + notes and references) and give us comments in the next few weeks. If you are interested and willing to review a pre-print, email me and I can send you something.

Steal this book!?

I have recently purchased some "used" books via amazon.com

Oddly enough, they come with library identifications on them, some have indicated they are withdrawn but others do not indicated they are discarded. Are they "lifted"? I have no evidence. I see this Ask MeFi article: How do I know if former library books for sale are really former library books? which suggests this is common and some libraries are just lax in labeling books as discarded. So I will assume it is legal, though doubts remain.

Now, I know it is illegal to upload scanned books that are still under copyright if they are not your own, but lots of books can obviously be found online at various places. While searching the internet, I discovered a Russian pirate copy library site, no longer up: http://gen.lib.rus.ec/ which had lots of books available for download, including The Transportation Experience, which I wrote with Bill Garrison.

Two points come to mind:

(1) Hey, cool, my work is worth pirating.

and

(2) Is it illegal *for me* to download this? (It is probably illegal for you to download it, (unless you are my coauthor) but the real crime would be if you uploaded it). It is obviously not immoral to download a book I wrote and have copies of, even if I did license Oxford University Press to publish it. I.e. could I be prosecuted for downloading a copy of my own work?

Network Reliability in Practice

NRIP

Network Reliability in Practice

Book Description
ISBN-10: 1461409462 | ISBN-13: 978-1461409465 |

Publication Date: November 30, 2011 | Edition: 2012

This book contains selected peer-reviewed papers that were presented at the Fourth International Symposium on Transportation Network Reliability (INSTR) Conference held at the University of Minnesota July 22-23, 2010. International scholars, from a variety of disciplines--engineering, economics, geography, planning and transportation—offer varying perspectives on modeling and analysis of the reliability of transportation networks in order to illustrate both vulnerability to day-to-day and unpredictability variability and risk in travel, and demonstrates strategies for addressing those issues. The scope of the chapters includes all aspects of analysis and design to improve network reliability, specifically user perception of unreliability of public transport, public policy and reliability of travel times, the valuation and economics of reliability, network reliability modeling and estimation, travel behavior and vehicle routing under uncertainty, and risk evaluation and management for transportation networks. The book combines new methodologies and state of the art practice to model and address questions of network unreliability, making it of interest to both academics in transportation and engineering as well as policy-makers and practitioners.

A Dictionary Of Transport Analysis

I have a couple of chapters (mine are under a Creative Commons license!) in the Recently published: Button, Kenneth, Henry Vega, Peter Nijkamp (2011) A Dictionary Of Transport Analysis Edward Elgar Publishing:

"This concise and clearly focused Dictionary, with contributions by the leading authorities in their fields, brings order and clarity to a topic that can suffer from confusion over terminology and concepts.

It provides a bridge between the academic disciplines involved and illustrates the application of transportation policy that crosses a variety of administrative divisions. Cutting through jargon, the entries concentrate on the social science aspects of transportation analysis, defining many of the terms used in transportation, and providing valuable information on some of the major institutions and technologies affecting this sector

This concise and comprehensive Dictionary will be an invaluable addition to libraries and research institutes and a helpful resource for anyone with an interest in the analysis of transport."

ETN

Our recent book Evolving Transportation Networks is now available in paperback for $24.95 via
Springer MyCopy. You can only get this if you are at a university or other organization that has subscribed to Springer. If you want, and you cannot get, contact me via email.

In a more developmental stage than our previous wikibooks, Transportation Geography and Network Science was developed by myself and students in my class of the same name this past Spring. Clearly there are many topics yet to be developed here, and the book is nowhere near as complete as the others. The book welcomes your attention. I hope future classes may be able to develop this further. Many of the links in the Table of Contents below are classic wiki 'red links' (which don't show up here as red) indicating they are yet to be written. But if you have ideas, please incorporate them.

Introductory Material

Graphs

Characterizing Networks

Network topologies

Network technologies

Flows and Walks

Evolving Networks

Networks and Travel Behavior

Networks and biology

Conclusions

Wikibook: Transportation Economics

In our continuing series, Better know a wikibook, meet Transportation Economics. This was based on materials developed by me, Michael Iacono, David Gillen, and others, and is used for my graduate Transportation Economics class.

Introduction

Industrial Organization

Microeconomics

As we begin another school year, it is time to better know a Wikibook.

Fundamentals of Transportation is the text I use for my Introduction to Transportation Engineering class. Thanks to some excellent additions by Mark Hickman, it now includes a Transit section. The Table of Contents is below:

Introductory Material

Planning

Transit

Traffic

Geometric Design

Conclusions

As it is a wikibook, we welcome improvements.

ETN Thumb

Recently published:

Xie, Feng and David Levinson (2011) Evolving Transportation Networks, Springer.

Our book Evolving Transportation Networks has just come out

Over the last two centuries, the development of modern transportation has significantly transformed human life. The main theme of this book is to understand the complexity of transportation development and model the process of network growth including its determining factors, which may be topological, morphological, temporal, technological, economic, managerial, social or political. Using multidimensional concepts and methods, the authors develop a holistic framework to represent network growth as an open and complex process with models that demonstrate in a scientific way how numerous independent decisions made by entities such as travelers, property owners, developers, and public jurisdictions could result in a coherent network of facilities on the ground. Models are proposed from innovative perspectives including self-organization, degeneration, and sequential connection to interpret the evolutionary growth of transportation networks in explicit consideration of independent economic and regulatory initiatives. Employing these models, the authors survey a series of topics ranging from network hierarchy and topology to first mover advantage. The authors demonstrate, with a wide spectrum of empirical and theoretical evidence, that network growth follows a path that is not only logical in retrospect, but also predictable and manageable from a planning perspective. In the larger scheme of innovative transportation planning, this book provides a re-consideration of conventional planning practice and sets the stage for further development on the theory and practice of the next-generation, evolutionary planning approach in transportation, making it of interest to scholars and practitioners alike in the field of transportation.

Product Details:

Product Details

Hardcover: 294 pages

Publisher: Springer; 1st Edition. edition (April 18, 2011)

Language: English

ISBN-10: 1441998039

ISBN-13: 978-1441998033

Available from Amazon and the publisher, Springer. Ask your library to order a copy.

Table of Contents

• Part 1 / ANTECEDENTS
    • Introduction
    • Background
    • Framework
  • Part 2 / NETWORK GROWTH IN THE PAST
    • Skyways in Minneapolis
    • Interurbans in Indiana
    • Streetcars in the Twin Cities
    • First Mover Advantages
  • Part 3 / SPONTANEOUS ORGANIZATION
    • Hierarchy
    • Topology
    • Sequence
  • Part 4 / LAND USE
    • Network Diffusion and Place Formation
    • Coevolution of Network and Land Use
  • Part 5 / GOVERNANCE AND PLANNING
    • Governance Choice - A Theoretical Analysis
    • Governance Choice - A Simulation Model
    • Forecasting
  • Part 6 / CONCLUSIONS
    • Retrospect
    • Prospect

Syndication

Just like a four-year old TV show with nearly 100 episodes, this blog is now being syndicated to Amazon for my "Plog" (a blogging service for authors to reach people who have (or might) purchase their books). This link shows the Plog previously (which required a manual update, and hence was largely ignored) David Levinson "David M. Levinson"'s Amazon Blog

Now, fresh content should immediately show up on the Amazon pages.

Vanderbilt's Traffic

Tom Vanderbilt's Blog mentioned our recent I-35W study ... How We Drive, the Blog of Tom Vanderbilt’s Traffic � Blog Archive � 50,000 Missing Trips

He was just in town, promoting his book (which I have yet to receive or read) and on MPR recently, links below:

MPR: Driver's education (link to interview)

MPR: News Cut: Live-blogging Midmorning: What traffic says about us

Traffic Quiz

From NYT The TierneyLab Traffic Quiz promoting Tom Vanderbilt's new book (I need to get his agent).

TierneyLab Traffic Quiz

Book Position

From the Blog Marginal Revolution: How many books should be facing out?

An interesting question, how should a bookstore optimally display information and provide a large inventory in a finite space, there is a trade-off between usability (and thus sales and profit ) and inventory (and thus sales and profit).

(Hence the invention and success of Amazon.)

Planning for Place and Plexus: Metropolitan Land Use and Transport by David Levinson and Kevin Krizek is now out and available for pre-order. I received my copies today and am quite pleased with how it came out.

Growing out of a course we taught on transportation and land use (PA8202/CE8202: Networks and Places), the book took many years, and I need to think my co-author Kevin Krizek, the publisher Routledge, and their staff and contractors, notably Katy Low, Ben Woolhead, Andrew Craddock, Victoria Johnson, Eleanor Rivers, Jane Wilde, Kate McDevitt, David McBride, our artist Doug Benson, and CTS's Peter Park Nelson for making this real. My mailbox storing correspondence I have received on the book (excluding what I sent) numbers 723 messages since July 2002. I don't even want to think about how difficult this must have been without email.

The blurb on the book brochure says:

Planning for Place and Plexus provides a fresh and unique perspective
on metropolitan land use and transport networks, challenging current
planning strategies and offering frameworks to understand and evalu-
ate policy.

The book suggests actions for the future urban growth of metropolitan
areas and includes current and cutting edge theory, findings, and rec-
ommendations which are cleverly illustrated throughout using interna-
tional examples. It is a valuable resource for students, researchers,
practitioners, and policy advisors working across transport, land use,
and planning.

'A lively, engaging book...which uses neoclassical economic principles...in a
digestible format. The authors go so far as to draw from the film "Thelma and
Louise" to show how game theory can be applied in predicting whether some-
one will drive or take public transit. This provocative, highly relevant book de-
serves to be on the bookshelf of everyone concerned with urban planning and
transportation.'

-- Robert Cervero, Professor and Chair, Department of City and Regional Planning, University of California, Berkeley

Access to Destinations ... the Book

David Levinson and Kevin Krizek are pleased to announce the publication of their edited volume Access to Destinations

Access to Destinations

For sale at Amazon and
Barnes and Noble

Financing Transportation Networks
Financing Transportation Networks

A review of my book Financing Transportation Networks, published by Edward Elgar (May 2002)recently appeared in the Journal Annals of Regional Science

See Book Review

David Levinson

Network Reliability in Practice

Evolving Transportation Networks

Place and Plexus

The Transportation Experience

Access to Destinations

Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Intelligent Transportation Systems

Financing Transportation Networks

View David Levinson's profile on LinkedIn

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Books category.

Book review is the previous category.

Bridge is the next category.

Monthly Archives