Emerging Definition of Leadership #5

Last week's final definition
Because of this weeks strong emphasis on ethics, I have learned the correlation between ethics and leadership. I believe that being able to continually develop your ethical standards through decision making is a vital step that will help you mature in your leadership skills. In order to be considered a leader, one must actively put the good of others above themselves.

This weeks definition
Leadership is necessary in a time of economic crisis. During a crisis, a leadership is being prepared and willing to deal with an environment of urgency and uncertainty. Leadsership requires the development of new skills, and always take advantage of the need for change.

Analysis of the differences in definitions
Last week, I was so focused on the ethical aspect of leadership, which I am now thankful that I understand. However, I am pleased to say that this week I learned that Leadership is more than putting others before yourself. Heifetz, R., Grashow, A., & Linsky, M. (2009) talk about how during a crisis, leaders must be willing to step up, take action and develop the skills necessary to lead their crowd to the desired result.

Citations
Heifetz, R., Grashow, A., & Linsky, M. (2009). "Leadership in a (permanent) crisis." Harvard Business Review, 87(7), 62-69. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=keh&AN=41997981&site=ehost-livee