« Films/Shows that challenge the assumptions of Parenti | Main | Race »

People Like Us

Personally, I found the video annoying. To me, the message was that there are cultural boundaries between class and race that separate us, and not only that, but that we keep it this way. I found this a little bit too obvious of a message. Also, it was asked that we think about the choices of clips for this documentary. I thought that the clips from both the rich and the poor were way too biased. In both cases there were extreme choices of people, and comments. I know there are people like this out there, but it makes it seem like all rich people are arrogant and hate everyone else, while they try to make people either pity or avoid the lower class. Underneath the documentary, I felt as though they were pointing fingers at people, but not addressing any type of solution. In my opinion, people are separated into different groups and classes and there is nothing anyone can do about it without brute force. One thing that the documentary completely left out is that although boundaries separate people into classes and groups, that doesn’t mean that people can’t and aren’t getting along with people from other classes. The video made it appear as though the different groups created by class separated us socially, but I don’t think it does. The video also made it appear as though rich people are more likely to not want to do with the lower class than the lower class not wanting to do with the rich, as if the lower classes for some reason all desired to be accepted and within the high class society. I’m not saying that there aren’t people like this, but more that the examples weren’t necessarily a good representation of the common values and beliefs of the American society.