« Advertising and People of Color | Main | CMU »

Living Space as Product of Culture

Suburbs to Cities

The cities are huge and beautiful. The night is often lit with lights from the buildings and filled with music, cars, or people. The pollutants and homeless people are greater, or at least more obvious. People are often busy or in a hurry to get somewhere. In the cities there is something to do past 10PM and you don’t need to have a car to get places. The culture is much more diverse with a broader range of ideas. The culture and SES gap is much more extreme. The jobs are also much better in the cities. There is very little nature except for decoration on the side walks. The cities are more of an every man for themselves when you walk alone on the streets. Also, there is much less eye contact with others. There is the choice to be alone or not, because it is much less likely you will know the people around you.

It seems that quite a few things I feel other people from the suburbs agree on, as well as people from the cities. In my evaluation of the cities, I often looked at the black and white comparisons of the cities and suburbs that are either evident from personal experience or from the media. I don’t feel that I said anything that was significantly wrong, but of course that is because I said it. The biggest reason I came to the cities is to get away from the “close-knit? atmosphere that the suburbs carried, and I have found the cities to be pretty much everything I had expected it to be. I have visited the cities many times before, which is probably why I have an accurate depiction of what I was in for. I may change how I feel in the future when I get an actual apartment instead of living in the dorms.

I think you accurately depicted most of what you analyzed of the cities. However being an Architecture student I kind of disagree with the lack of nature in the cities compared to the suburbs. There is still preserved nature, maybe not in the downtown area, but right outside of it. For example, on campus, the Knoll, and the mall area, near downtown, Loring Park, further south, Minnehaha Falls, Lakewood Cemetery, the Lakes...etc. I guess I feel like the lack of nature everywhere is pretty comparable, but what there is of it is similar in both suburbs and cities. Your other depictions I felt were dead on, exactly how the city can be described.