Saudilogue 45

I don't remember the number of the last log, so I'm going to start with 45. Much has happened this year. I forgot to mention earlier, the reality of the Israeli attack on Gaza. For a month, students, faculty and staff raised money to help Gaza citizens who had no food, fuel or medical care. I asked where the...

Continue reading "Saudilogue 45"

Posted by at 9:44 AMSandy of Arabia

Saudilogue 41

Saudilogue 41 OLD NEWS In an hour I go to the hospital for cataract surgery on my right eye. I am looking forward to more balanced vision. A rather humorous situation arose during one of my presurgical visits. As you know, there are ladies sections everywhere because men and women are segregated. So, I arrived for my appointment and sat...

Continue reading "Saudilogue 41"

Posted by at 8:58 AMSandy of Arabia

Saudilogue 40

Yup. 40. This is the start of my fourth year here. As a service to you all, since I noticed while in the states that the national news there doesn’t carry much international news: • Congo erupted in violence again – 250,000 refugees have fled the rebel area. The dispute is over an oil agreement negotiated with the Chinese. The...

Continue reading "Saudilogue 40"

Posted by at 9:50 AMSandy of Arabia

Games....

• Are video games good for you? What can you learn from them? Is it a different kind of learning? I don't think there is "good" or "bad." Video games just are. I don't see a huge difference between regular games and video games, except that video games can be more immersive and have potential for being addictive. As to...

Continue reading "Games...."

Posted by at 1:36 PM

saudilogue 38

June 20 Gee – I didn’t realize nearly two months have transpired since my last communiqué. Spring semester is nearly done. Classes have finished, grades are in and I still have course files to make up for every class. Summer semester starts tomorrow. I have started packing for a return to the US on July 20. A month from today...

Continue reading "saudilogue 38"

Posted by at 4:26 PMSandy of Arabia

Saudilogue 37

Saudilogue 37 April 16, 2008 Day after tax day. I just got back from a new mall in Jeddah – the Red Sea Mall, located by the sea. Holy cats. Amazing. I’ll got back next week to take photos. Heads up, Jenny. I want to go to the Mall of America when I get back to see if the store...

Continue reading "Saudilogue 37"

Posted by at 9:57 AM

Saudilogue 36

It’s Thursday morning, (our Saturday). Very high winds have created a sandstorm. Branches have been blown down so the guys are trying to clean up the increasing mess. Farouky says that when the sand is this fine and the winds this high, the rains are coming. Ooooo. Could be fun. The internet is down again. Since the cables were...

Continue reading "Saudilogue 36"

Posted by at 1:41 PM

Viz Lab Summer Grants—Due April 18

Viz Lab Summer Grant applications are due by April 18, 2008. To apply for a summer grant you must fill out the Viz Lab access application (http://www.d.umn.edu/vdil/access/accessForm.html) and the Summer Grant application form (http://www.d.umn.edu/vdil/access/summerGrantForm.html). If you have any questions regarding the grants, access or the Lab, please check out the Summer Grant website or contact the Lab at 8093....

Continue reading "Viz Lab Summer Grants—Due April 18"

Posted by at 12:10 PMVLN - Viz Lab News

Software/Hardware Updtates

Hardware clean-up on Boyle and Burns is almost complete; check back next week for smoother-running machines. If you have frequented either of these machines, please stop by to make sure that required research software has been re-installed (currently we have re-installed 3ds Max 9, Office 2007, MATLAB, Groundwater Vistas and the Adobe CS3 design premium on Boyle)....

Continue reading "Software/Hardware Updtates"

Posted by at 10:50 AM

Saudilogue 35

Saudilogue 35 Happy Hijjra – the Moslem new year. 1428 is gone and 1429 is just begun. There were celebrations yesterday at school. People wrote the worst incidents of 1428 on sheets of paper which were put through a shredder. Not a bad way to celebrate a new year. The Moslem calendar is based on lunar cycles and the beginning...

Continue reading "Saudilogue 35"

Posted by at 11:40 AMSandy of Arabia