Saudilogue 37

Saudilogue 37

Day after tax day. I just got back from a new mall in Jeddah – the Red Sea Mall, located
by the sea. Holy cats. Amazing. I’ll got back next week to take photos. Heads up, Jenny. I
want to go to the Mall of America when I get back to see if the store décor has changed
because the Saudi stuff is incredible. I bet she smiled and leaped for the sky… And she
has a new house….

The color coding of the garbage cans, waste bins and workers even uses color coded pick
up trucks. The lavender bins are hauled around by trucks with a lavender cloth roof. I
understand they are finally going to start recycling in Jeddah. YAY. So, now the ad
agency is trying to figure out how to continue the color coding with recycle bins next to
the regular garbage bins.

Now that I know I am coming home, I am trying to determine what to bring back as gifts
and just stuff. Poor Jake. He probably envisions more stuff with no where to put it…

We are on break. One week to sleep and design the rest of the semester. And, thankfully,
we now have three weeks left of the online Harvard class. Too bad we have been
teaching such a heavy load, because we all could have participated more in the class.

I have learned quite a bit. Though, about the whole process of understanding. Teaching
for Understanding is the name of the course and from this study, we have analyzed the
internalization process.

April 26th, I think…

It is Sunday. I had cataract surgery Thursday morning. This has been an amazing
experience. The presurgicall check up showed I had an infection, though it didn’t
interfere with the surgery. My eyesight in my left eye is now fabulous. Clear as a bell.

The care has been super. I may try to have the other side done before I return. I am aware
now of how the vision in my right eye is dimmer than the repaired eye. I don’t need
glasses on that eye. I might need reading glasses.

The clinic I used is the best in Jeddah. Most of the patients are Saudi, so I was in the
women’s waiting rooms, etc.

The instructions say I am not supposed to bend over for two weeks. Though that is a
minor inconvenience, it is a major problem for Moslems who bend over to pray. The last
stage is being prostrate on the floor, which I am told is the time when a person directly,,
spontaneously pray to God.

I have my plane ticket home. The school can arrange for a longer exit/reentry visas
should I decide to come back spring semester. I have applied for one job locally (in
Duluth). I’ll see what happens.

Summer is starting. It was 106 yesterday with a morning sandstorm.

I see that NE Minnesota keeps getting blizzards. Egad. Part of me can hardly wait to
build a snowman; the other half wonders how cold that first winter will seem.

The Harvard course is nearly done. I have learned a lot from that and two workshops
given by a fabulous lady from Ottawa, Canada.

This has been a wonderful experience. While I was in a waiting room, I was playing a
finger game with a little kid who couldn’t speak English, I can’t speak Arabic. We had a
good time. I here to report that peek=a-boo is international.

I haven’t been able to take pictures of the garbage service yet, so that will come with the
next e-mail.

Salam,
Sandy

at April 30, 2008 9:57 AM