New Primary Source Collection: Nineteenth Century Collections Online
Nineteenth Century Collections Online provides searchable content from a wide range of primary sources for the "long" 19th century.
Nineteenth Century Collections Online unites multiple, distinct archives into a single resource a wide variety of previously unavailable primary sources, including:
- Books and monographs
- Newspapers and periodicals
- Diaries and Personal Letters
- Maps and more
Learn more: http://www.gale.cengage.com/pdf/facts/ncco/NCCOProgramOverview.pdf
Archives now available (collection will grow over time):
1.) British Politics and Society includes tens of thousands of primary sources related to the political climate in Great Britain during the "long" nineteenth century.
2.) European Literature, 1790-1840: The Corvey Collection includes full-text of more than 9,500 English, French and German titles. The collection is sourced from the remarkable library of Victor Amadeus, whose Castle Corvey collection was one of the most spectacular discoveries of the late 1970s. The Corvey Collection comprises one of the most important collections of Romantic era writing in existence anywhere - including fiction, short prose, dramatic works, poetry and more - with a focus on especially difficult-to-find works by lesser-known, historically neglected writers.
3.) Asia and the West: Diplomacy and Cultural Exchange will enable students and scholars to examine a selection of records that constitute a political and social history of Western interaction with a number of Asian countries during the nineteenth century. Most of the manuscript collections in this archive consist of the British Foreign Office and United States consular and diplomatic records.
Sample of materials:
- Despatches from U.S. Consuls in Padang, Sumatra, Netherlands East Indies, 1853-1898
- Records Relating to the United States Surveying Expedition to the North Pacific Ocean, 1852-1863.
- Notes from the Chinese Legation in the United States to the Department of State, 1868-1906
- Despatches from U.S. Ministers to Korea, 1883-1905
- Despatches from US Consuls in Antung, Manchuria, China, 1904-1906
- British Foreign Office: Japan Correspondence, 1914-1923: Emergence of Japan as a Pacific Power
- Missionary and Socio-Economic Journals
4.) British Theatre, Music, and Literature: High and Popular Culture features a wide range of primary sources related to the arts in the Victorian era, from playbills and scripts to operas and complete scores. Sample of materials:
- Archives of the Royal Literary Fund
- Drury Lane under Sheridan, 1776-1812: Manuscript Plays and Correspondence
- English Stage after the Restoration, 1733-1822
- Popular Literature in 18th and 19th Century Britain, Parts Three-Ten: The Barry Ono Collection of Bloods and Penny Dreadfuls
- Popular Literature in 18th and 19th Century Britain, Part Two: The Sabine Baring-Gould and Thomas Crampton Collections
Textual Analysis Tools
Identify and visualize patterns, trends and relationships with these unique tools that allow users to explore the content in completely original ways. In addition to providing new avenues for searching, underlying data and text is exportable for further analysis.
Zotero Compatible (zotero.org)
Nineteenth Century Collections Online is optimized for use with this very popular and robust browser-base bibliography tool.