Occupy the Libraries: Open 24/7 and Study Breaks!
The University Libraries are your place for 24/7, "distraction-free" studying for finals. Use our spaces, our computers, our coffee shops, get help when you need it and take a break with our awesome activities. Our staplers will be waiting...
Building Hours for Libraries and SMART Learning Commons
Walter Library (East Bank):
- 2nd Floor Great Hall will be open 24/7 from May 3 to May 18
- Study Break:
- Wii in media viewing room on Monday, May 13 (7-9pm)
- Giant crossword puzzle, Legos, Origami, Coloring sheets, Jigsaw puzzles, Free book cart, Short videos
- Social Media - "5 Days of Giveaways" through FourSquare and Facebook
Bio-Medical Library (Diehl Hall, East Bank):
- Will be open 24/7 from May 3 and ending May 18 (UCard required)
- Study Break:
- Bio-Med Library will be hosting its Stress Buster events on May 14-15, which includes a five-minute chair massage by a Boynton Health Service massage therapist from 12:00 to 2:00 p.m.
- Cookies and beverages are offered from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m.
- Also offered are pet therapy opportunities with a registered service dog, Gabe the Husky, from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. All events are outside the tunnel entry to the Bio-Med Library.
Magrath Library (St. Paul):
- Will be open extended hours:
- Study Days May 11 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. and May 12 12:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
- Finals Week May 13-17 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. and May 18 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Study Break: nurturing seeds of knowledge
- Monday, May 6 11:30 a.m. to 1p.m. Flowers planting to take home over summer break St. Paul Student Center or Magrath Library room 2 (rain back-up)
- Tuesday, May 7 11:30 a.m. Foraging trip across St. Paul campus to learn about what is edible; meet at Magrath Library room 2, and 1:00 to 3:00 p.m., planting at Cornercopia Farm
- Wednesday, May 8 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Create aromatherapy sachets, St. Paul Student Center or Magrath Library room 2 (rain back-up)
- Thursday, May 9 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. planting at Cornercopia Farm
- Friday, May 10 Greenhouse planting 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
Wilson Library (West Bank): Finals Week Space Jam
- Will be open 24/7 from May 10-May 18
- Study Break
- Monday, May 13, 2013 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., Wilson Library Rooms S-30A: snacks, Star Trek, and space-themed coloring and puzzles,
- Giant crosswords puzzles throughout the building all week
- Board games available in the basement in the evenings
SMART Learning Commons:
- Math and Chemistry Exam Review workshops May 4 - May 11 is available
- Expanded tutoring hours, bookended by our first-ever TWO Exam Jam Saturdays:
- May 4, 1:00 to 5:00 p.m., in Walter Library (hosted by the SMART Learning Commons)
- May 11, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., in 140 Appleby Hall (hosted by the Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence)
- Take 5 to use your Top 5
- On May 4 during the afternoon tutoring hours at Walter, stop by the Strengths booth to get a Take 5 candy bar and 5 tips for how to use your top 5 Strengths to be successful during finals week!
- Tutor schedules and more details can be found at at smart.umn.edu
An escort is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Please call 4-WALK (4-9255) if you would like an escort. The escort area covers all campuses and locations within a mile of campus.