No changes for China's one-child policy
China will continue their one-child policy, despite rumors that changes were ahead, The New York Times reported Monday.
Zhang Weidqing, minister of the National Population and Family Planning Commission said a surge in births is expected to continue for about another decade, so no changes to the one-child policy would be considered until then.
With a population of 1.3 million, China’s one-child policy limits urban families to one child and farming families to two children. Minorities are sometimes able to have two or more, the New York Times said.
Zhang said the policy has been successful in controlling population so far. Critics, however, say the policy is responsible for abuses like forced abortions. The New York Times also said there is evidence that the one-child policy created the gender imbalance in China, and there may be too few women in the future.
Last month, Rueters quoted the vice minister in the National Population and Family Planning Commission, Zaho Baige, as saying China may move from the one-child policy. Wu Jianmin, spokesmen for an advisory board to the national legislature, also made comments suggesting the policy would be changed.
After Baige’s comment, China officially denied the statements and the announcement Monday cements that denial.