Recently in Reading Responses Category

Iraq

I read the article anatomy 1 which was on iraq graphic design and how they use parody of things to make serious subjects have a funny twist. I thought the way they used "humor as a weapon" was very interesting. By using common graphics to grab the viewers attention and then changing a few key details can make a real statement. I think that the work in this article is very cleaver. The initail image grabs your attention, but then you need to take a second look and think about what the image is really trying to say.

Graphic Design in Iran

I thought this article was very interesting. It was exciting to see the way Graphic Designer in Iran got there messages across. It was fun to compare and contrast the similarities and differences between our design and there design. I thought it was interesting how the author grouped our graphic design vs there graphic design. Our is two kinds, the local design intended for domestic use and the other kind is mainly those produced for contests and international contest design. While the author stated that in Iran there graphic designers are taught more to have there work presentable to the public. Overall I thought this article was very interesting, it was cool to learn about and see examples of graphic artworks from another country.

Charity Ads

I really liked this reading and I agree with their idea of keeping this simple and not complicated. When you trying to make an ad some designers can get caught up on the visual aspect of it and the message can get lost. Keeping things plain and simple may not be the most visually appealing for viewers but it gets the point across fast. Sometimes designers don't even have to change an idea, like the World Wild Life Fund, using a symbol that so many people know world wide is sometimes the best way to get your message across. I also realy liked the Comic Relif, i thought it was a nice change from the typical charity ads. Most charity ads are very sad and try to get you to feel guilt if you don't give to them, but a comical ad is a nice change in pace compared to what you usually, making it stand out more than others.

Steven Heller

After looking over Steven Heller's newsletters it is clear that he knows what he is talking about. I thought it was very interesting that Heller had a different form of art work on his newsletter every day. I feel like subscribing to his emails is kinda of like buying your own graphic design book. He incorperates many tools and helpful tips to making your design great. I also thought that his newsletters were very helpful due to the fact that they are more current than a book might be. He is always looking for the latest styles and nice enoguh to update everyone who wants to know about his findings.

Color Theory Reading

I thought this reading was very interesting becasue it not only told us about color theory, which most of us have already learned and know about, but in this reading they described the history of color theory and how it began. I liked that they used really examples from ads and other artwork that used the color theory like triadic, analogus, and complementary colors in there work. I like that it also talks about what each of the colors represent and their meaning. Red makes you think of fire, blue makes you think of the sky and yellow makes you think of sunshine. They also described a lot of positive and negative things that are often associated with each color. My favorite part of the article though was when they describe famous logos and how the designer picked the color of that logo. Overall the reading was very interesting, although i knew a lot already about what they were talking about from other classes it was still cool to read about the meanings and logos in the reading.

The ASTONISH ME Problem

I thoguht this reading was very interesting becasue the pictures and posters that were shown were very appealling the eye. What first caught my attention in each image was the way the image was being portrayed or shown on the canvas and not so much the message it was trying to get across. After I figured out the image it then made me look closer and the poster and realized what the message was. When you display an image that is a confusing to look at it gives the viewer more insentive to take a closer look at your work, inturn making them think about what the image means and what message you are trying to get across in that image. Many of the art work that is attention getting is created through optical illusions or tricks of the eye. The most interesting way to grab a readers attention I thought was the example where the holes were physically cut out in the book and you could put you hand through it. We had something similar to this in our high school yearbook, the cover said take a look inside and then had a large circle cut out of the cover so you could see the first page through the color. I thought this was a really cool idea beacue it not only gives you the visual aspect but also the physical aspect. Although it is really cool to see images that tricks your mind and makes you think harder, I also think it is very interesting when you can feel the image that is tricking you mind. I think this makes you look even closer at the image and the message being portrayed. Overall I think that the article was really cool and gave me a different perspective on art and graphics and how they are portrayed and the messages they send to the viewers.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Reading Responses category.

Process is the previous category.

Visual Research is the next category.