Main | Social Design »

Midtown Global Market

We were asked go to the Midtown Market and observe, define, and list the ways we might create and exchange energy there. Although I was able to make it to the destination, I was unlucky enough to choose a time, 7:30 to be exact, when very few people were there. It was still very early in the morning, and the only store that was open was the local café. Initially I was disappointed that it was so quiet, and that I was going to miss the stereotypical hustle and bustle of which I came for. But then as I began to walk aimlessly around the market, I began to notice a new energy, not the vibrant energy of throngs of people talking and moving from one stall to the next. Instead, I found a much more subtle energy. It is hard to define exactly how it felt, but I will give it a try. Because I got there so early I was able to watch the local workers come in and begin to set up their shops, whether it was opening windows, cleaning counter tops or setting out their wears. The silent activity reminded me of the feelings you get when you realize it is a new day. Everything is starting over, fresh and new. The day is just beginning, slowly working its way up to full speed. I don’t know if that makes any sense, but for some reason it is really hard to describe. In the end, I was happy that I was able to experience something other than what I expected to find.

Yeah we should have waited till later maybe we would have got to see the baloon man or salsa arobics :) -JENNY