Main | Where Do All the People Go? »

The Heart of a City

Prompt: Inspired by Andy Goldsworthy document and investigate, through text and image - this idea of energy, flow and transformation through the city.

This notion that energy flows through city, making it a viable, living entity is not hard to see in the least bit. Sure, you could take the statement at face value, of the real instances of energy transferences found throughout an urban central. The first few things that come to mind are gasoline and electric fueled car engines, heating bills and light switches. But there's so much more going on around us than we wouldn’t be able to see or comprehend all at once. Our climate and weather is dependent on the amount of energy in our atmosphere and the ground below us. Each day we consume energy and use that to function throughout the day from doing every day task such as typing to bodybuilding or my personal favorite, rollerblading. That is to say, however, that the average American consumes many more calories than they could ever use in one day.

But I think there’s so much more happening in a city than you could ever comprehend by standing on the street corner. I often find myself thinking of the concept of a city as a living thing comprising of many parts, similar to the human body. The main arteries are the roads and public transportation, while high-rises are its eyes.

New York City.jpg

Most importantly, are the people. These people within the city are responsible for keeping the city alive, giving its energy. And through these people, the energy they exude does well to transform the city as time passes and new generation arise. The “heart of the city? is something people talk about casually, not really paying attention to its meaning, but I really think that it does have merit. While watching “While the Levees Broke? in class heart of the city was what stood out the most for me. When the New Orleanians were returning home, they brought back with them a pulse back to the city and its unique culture. Without the citizens moving in and out, living, setting up business, reconstructing, celebrating, it would become an empty shell. Plato says, “This city is what it is because our citizens are what they are?. I’d like to conclude saying that this idea of energy, flow and transformation through the city is a complex system involving many variables but what is known is that its future lives within the people.

Hot-Eights-Brass-Band-450.jpg